Ableton live / audio interface question

Ryk Fawcett

Hi guys, I have a problem, maybe somebody can help. I have been scouring the internet without finding any specific results.

I have ableton live 8.1 which I'm running on a lenovo z580 laptop.

I have been using a numark djio interface for outputs, this interface doesn't have inputs though.

I have a turntable which I was hoping to route through a channel in ableton so I can record audio from vinyl and loop it on the fly.

I picked up a very basic audio interface - Alto UI-1 which will allow me to send the turntable audio into my PC and while it has a ground connector, when i hooked it up (just to the pc first, not yet into ableton) it seemed only to work when the external pc mic was open, thus bringing in all the ambient sound of the room. I then put the turntable through a mixer before the interface and this seemed to work.

However, I can only get the audio to register in ableton if I disable the DJIO. Even then, the audio was still running through both the PC soundcard and ableton, thus causing echoey delays and even when I muted the audio track that was recieveing the audio in ableton and tried to record the signal, the recording was also delayed and choppy.

I guess I have two questions then.

1: Can ableton live use 2 seperate audio interfaces (1 for ins, 1 for outs )?

2: Assuming I don't have the DJio enabled, why am I still having issues with the audio signal coming in?

Sorry for the convoluted nature of the post, I hope its clear enough,

Thanks,

Ryk

One audio interface.

But you can connect anything into your Audio Interface.

For instance you can connect a preamp, another audio interface, compressor, or anything with line outs to your audio interface if able.

You need to use an Audio lane for the instance. Not a midi lane.

Go to preferences and make sure you have enough Audio lanes activated.

Make sure your line in is active in your specific audio lane in the Session View or Arrangement View. 1/2 or 1

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply man. I think I may have shot myself in the foot by having 2 audio interfaces. As far as I can tell, my Numark DJIO only allows for output from the PC whereas the new one I got that has the phono pre-amp built in is only setup for inputs, thus to do what I want to do live in ableton, I would need them both.

I should have researched it better before rushing out to buy.

Cheers,

Ryk

Back