Compressors

cu sith

I've been toying with the idea of a hardware compressor. I really don't have any hardware yet as software is seems quite good so far. I know things like EQs are probably better just to leave in the computer but how about compression? I'm just wondering what the sort of pros and cons you have run into with software vs hardware compressors. I've heard a decent hardware compressor still beats out the software side in terms of warmth but I'm wondering if you generally have enough control over the parameters.

I've been toying with the same idea, but basically decided that unless/until I can afford something really good and characterful (like, say, a pair of Distressors), it probably won't be worth it. The most obvious con would be that you'd only have a single instance, so no easy way to try it on multiple tracks with different settings...unless you record each pass separately. Then again, admittedly I don't really have much experience with hardware comps, especially in the sense of being able to compare the two objectively. I guess the only real way to find out is to buy something - maybe even a low-ish end unit - and see how you get along with it. Changing your workflow into a more restricted one can be a very good thing sometimes.

Back