Buying good speakers...

TKayBeats

I don't know anything about which speaker brands to go for, or what kind of things I should be looking for while buying speakers spec-wise. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I produce EDM. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in what kind of speakers I should go for.

Price point? Decent speakers start around $200.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

I'd recommend the KRK Rokit RP8 G2 Active Studio Monitor 200-300 bucks

If you look for used, and clearance prices, you can go pretty cheap, and still get something useful.
One thing I have found is that there is not really much difference between hi-fi, and "monitors".
The hi fi market is always updating, and coming out with new models every couple years.
This allows consumers to find steep discounts on the "old" models.

I suggest you HP 4d00 . The price is very low and very powerful speaker.

just bumping this thread. i am using a laptop at the moment can anyone suggest good portable speakers? price range £60-100 ?

Yamaha HS80m monitors are the best monitors that you can buy under $1,000. Home "hi-fi" speakers can be decent, but that totally depends on the make and model. Plus, you also need an amp to power them and most studio monitors are powered. I've researched this subject exhaustively and owned / used several pairs... go with the HS80m's.

Treat your room first or it wont matter which speakers you buy. The acoustics of the room you'll be making music in will be the biggest factor in how you perceive the music you're making. I'd rather make music in a treated room with a boombox than an untreated room with $5000 speakers. If this isn't an option I'd say get anything affordable in the mean time so you at least have something to reference and spend your money on a good pair of headphones and maybe a Focusrite VRM box.

Last edited:
A5+ Premium Powered Bookshelf Speakers - These speakers sound fantastic. They sound warm and are bassy enough where you do not need a separate sub-woofer. They are of high-quality construction and Audioengine has a very good reputation for great audiophile quality products.

Back