Best set up for my needs? (Maschine vs Push vs ???)

hoojacks

Hey all,

So right now I'm working in MuLab just to get a feel for electronic music making. I desperately want some pro-gear and a nice DAW to work in. I've been drooling over the Push, but also recently discovered the Maschine. They seem to be pretty different, and now I have a question I think experiences folks such as yourselves can help me with. I'd love some suggestions on what to go with, based on my needs. So here they are:

1. I want to make my own instruments using found sounds/a mic/whatever, so large amounts of included instruments aren't required.
2. Creativity and spontaneity are the main ways I make my music, with lots of tweaks to the underlying settings of the synths and VSTs.
3. I don't really plan on using samples.
4. The ability for performing and improvising is a big plus.

So, with all that, it seems that the Push would be the best thing, but I just don't know since I'm pretty new to the game. The Maschine looks nice, and it's much cheaper, and it comes with more instruments, but it doesn't look like you can just "jam" on it like you can the Push.

Is there anything I'm not considering?

This is a hard question, so it deserves a hard answer.

Either or.

Maschine and push are just controllers, albeit very sophisticated controllers. You could "jam" on either or. I own the Maschine and I can say that hands down it is the best investment I have made in the last couple of years. Maschine and Push do what a program doesn't do all too well and that is increase your workflow (creativity and composition output). It's somewhat tough to get into clicking a mouse here and there and making things bump. But with these controllers it is fairly easy and most importantly Fun!!.

Don't get me wrong doing the same with a Midi keyboard ( Sequencing, triggering, knob turning is basically in the same vein) as these controllers but your keyboard keys aren't going to be lighting up any time soon.

Food for thought. Maschine can be used inside Ableton easy, also while Maschine is being used as a VST inside of Ableton you can use the SHIFT+ CONTROL buttons to switch between using Maschine to control the Maschine Software and Control Abletons software (what the push does seamlessly)

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I had made a video for a friend who also wanted to see Maschine and Ableton work together. I "jam'd" this one. It's a bit long, more than a bit repetitive but you get the gist by the end of the video.

I also start to consider the Push after playing with it at he store.....but as a hapy owner of Maschine, I don,t know if I want to start all over and learn a new soft as Ableton that seems to have a hard learning curve.....

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I also start to consider the Push after playing with it at he store.....but as a hapy owner of Maschine, I don,t know if I want to start all over and learn a new soft as Ableton that seems to have a hard learning curve.....

Do you want to make music in Ableton? If not then don't buy Push. Do you want to make music in the Maschine software? If not don't buy Maschine. Really decide how you want to work and then decide what fits your situation best.

Back