audio interfaces with s/pdif

pagordon

I have an M-audio/avid fast track c400 and it has s/pdif I/O. What can I connect through this I/O? The manual said things like CD players, but is there anything else (like maybe a turntable for converting?) Could i connect another audio interface through the spdif to increase the amount of I/O for instruments and trs outs for studio monitors?(like instead of 2 simlutaneous inputs, I would connect another interface to make it 4 or more simultaneous inputs?)

Anything with, well, S/PDIF i/o in itself. It doesn't really convert anything since it's digital i/o to begin with, on the contrary: you'd use it for digital sources to avoid extra conversions. Some synths & digital effect processors have this. Chaining audio interfaces just for two extra channels of i/o seems a bit redundant - I'd look into something with ADAT (which gives you 8 channels) if you want to expand your i/o count (for example I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & a Behringer ADA8000 via ADAT for a total of 16 inputs & outputs).

Back