Akai MPC Renaissance vs Native Instruments Maschine?

It all depends on a lot of things. If you need a new audio interface also, Ren hands down. If you are just excited about making beats, Maschine. If money is not an thing, Ren hands down. Now......my only thing with the MPC Ren is that I'm not sure about the software because there is no info about it's features yet (I don't think). That's one main determining factor. Just like (I heard) Maschine doesn't have (audio warp like function or good timestretch). I'll check it out later or someone can correct me. But that's a turn off for me automatically. And Ren might not have those either or they may not be as good as others. So.......what I would have is an overpriced midi control with an audio interface if I got the Ren due to the fact I would rarely use the software.........(if I can even use it without the software). Then I'm stuck for real. Maybe they have free upgrades for life on that thing as they add new features...maybe. But it's a lot of money to make a mistake on choice.

Now....MPC studio is a better competitor. Same price, does the same thing. Just don't know what the software can do in the MPC Studio.

Me personally........I would save up and get a MPC 5000 or just buy a used 2500 instead of a Ren for the price.

Last edited:
If I didn't already have a Maschine, I would wait it out to see what features Maschine gets in its next update and whether Akai's software is stable and effective.

Salem: Are there any rumors on when that next Maschine update may be released yet?

901_Rice_Street: Looked at the MPC Studio, but I want lots of controls for complete work flow. And I know what you mean about the real standalone solution. I would like to have a device that could live in both worlds so to speak. Both standalone, and also integrated with your DAW when you need it.

I am leaning towards the Maschine now, mainly cause of it's solid software. As you said, I don't really want to take to big of a "risk".

//Mike

Salem: Are there any rumors on when that next Maschine update may be released yet?

IIRC, the last minor bugfix update came out around November. The last version that added relevant features came out around... October? I don't feel like Googling it right now. They're due for an update, and they've already hinted at several features that they're planning on eventually implementing.

This shouldn't really be a discussion right now. One is an actual existing product that with a proven track record that changed the game. The other is still an unfinished prototype of a me-too product that won't exist for a long time.

If you need a new audio interface also, Ren hands down.
Why would people who want a new audio interface want it locked into the big ass Ren instead of actually having a choice of what to get? And it's not like the Ren's soundcard will be RME-level quality.

Just like (I heard) Maschine doesn't have (audio warp like function or good timestretch). I'll check it out later or someone can correct me. But that's a turn off for me automatically. And Ren might not have those either or they may not be as good as others.
You can already do realtime timestretch and audio warping inside Maschine right now using plugins like Kontakt and Melodyne and built-in realtime timestretch is coming to Maschine. The Ren will only have offline timestretch.

MPC studio is a better competitor. Same price, does the same thing.
It won't do "the same thing". The Ren and the Studio won't have the level of integration that Maschine has because they won't show everything on the hadware's displays like the waveforms like Maschine does so that you can even turn off the computer screen. They also won't be able to do things like browse and load presets for all Komplete plugins from Maschine's hardware.

Neither the Maschine or the new MPCs work standalone, btw - they do work without a DAW, but the software *is* all there is, the fancy box being just a controller. And seeing that no one really know how well the Ren software will perform, there's simply no telling at this point which one'll be better. If you want something now, I'd just go for the Maschine.

Maschine is sick but the feel of a mpc is iconic and it buts u in a different creative mode but work flow Will slow to a point.

Well I have an MPC3000 and Maschine. I personally like da workflow of the MPC so I would lean towards the Renaissanc, also it was built like the MPC3000. But, if it's a money issue get the MPC Studio

I am thinking of getting a controller to make my beats on, but I can not decide which one. I have been thinking about getting the NI Maschine, but now Akai comes out with this MPC Renaissance.

What do you guys think?

Mike, I just posted an informative and detailed article on my blog explaining the pros and cons of both. This will hopefully put an end to the debate for you. In summary:

Maschine is for you if:

• You are just getting started in music production.If you have to learn one of these from scratch, consider that the Maschine workflow is incredibly fast. Quickly browse load and open plugins, tweak sounds, add effects, etc. Unfortunately, the Renaissance's workflow is still stuck back in the hardware days.
  • You already have experience working with software. NI is definitely killing Akai in the software game. The Ren has very poor software integration. Maschine's user interface is clean and straight forward. If you have ever picked up something like FL Studio, you'll feel right at home. Not to mention, Maschine enables you to easily drag and drop stuff to your DAW (Ren does not).
  • You make sample based or electronic music: Maschine comes with NI's Massive straight out of the box. If you are into dubstep or electronic music, this is pretty much a no-brainer.
  • You have or anticipate having a large sample library: Maschine's browser feature is intuitive. It makes finding and auditioning sounds very easy. Akai's browser feature is a pain in the ass.
The Renaissance is for you if:
  • You are coming from an MPC background. If you are used to the MPC style workflow, it might be frustrating for you to learn an entirely new workflow. The Ren has a similar workflow to what you are already used to. When it comes time to get that beat out of your head, you don't want to be fumbling around with a workflow that you are not familiar with.
  • You own a bunch of hardware. With a solid built in audio interface, the Ren excels in hardware connectivity Period. If you have vintage synths or any other cool gear that you cannot do without, the Ren is for you.
  • You like the Akai midi timing. We've all heard about that famous MPC groove. The Ren has this out of the box.
  • You have money to blow. The Ren is almost twice as much as Maschine, weighing in at almost $1400 including tax. Unless you are a hardcore MPC user from back in the day, the Renaissance doesn't deliver anything close to that amount of value. Sure a built in audio interface is handy, but I think that most of us can make do with what we have.

But remember this: "a piece of equipment has never made a hit record" - DJ Quick. In the end, purchase what you know you will use consistently. Make sure you purchase something that will be the centerpiece of your productions for YEARS to come. Don't switch every time something new and shiny comes along. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
RighteousRob, you're totally right on except for this:
[*]You like the Akai midi timing. We've all heard about that famous MPC groove. The Ren has this out of the box.

There is no exclusive "Akai MIDI timing" or "MPC groove" that is somehow unique to MPCs. It's just one of the many urban myths that developed about MPCs over the years. Roger Linn, the inventor of the MPC admitted recently in an interview that there was indeed nothing special about MPC's swing or timing/groove that can't be done on any other music sequencers today.

RighteousRob, you're totally right on except for this:

There is no exclusive "Akai MIDI timing" or "MPC groove" that is somehow unique to MPCs. It's just one of the many urban myths that developed about MPCs over the years. Roger Linn, the inventor of the MPC admitted recently in an interview that there was indeed nothing special about MPC's swing or timing/groove that can't be done on any other music sequencers today.

MPC Groove is alive and well. I can feel it in my soul every time I play a track back.:victory:

Back