Adam A7X's buzz in the mid highs?

Yumid

So I just purchased some Adam A7X's and Im not sure if this is a problem with the speakers or it they are just that clear in the upper mids and I'm not used to how it sounds.

I listened to them for awhile in the store comparing them to yamahas and Rokits. The listening conditions in the store weren't very accurate since the Adams were coming at me from above, yams from below, etc....

Anyway i went with the Adams and now that I'm listening at home I can(I also noticed this at the store but wrote it off because of the listening conditions) hear a little buzzy sound whenever there is a Saw lead or bass or something similar. Now obviously I know a saw lead DOES create a buzzy sound. So I'm not sure if this is just the true clarity of the speakers, or if something is wrong with mine. Mine were a display model but they were only on the shelf for a couple weeks. But I've never noticed the 'buzz' in these songs being this clear before. So is it actually THAT clear or is my speaker reproducing artifacts..IF THEY ARE artifacts, how does someone uneducated in speaker referencing like me find out? Because that buzz isn't my favourite sound by any means, but if its a true representation thats ok because thats why I bought more expensive speakers. But if they are artifacts, i need to figure out a way to find out haha.

I don't really have any other monitors to compare them too in my listening space so I am just going to see if anyone else has experienced or been surprised like this with a new pair of adams?

Is it normal for a saw or 'buzzy' bass to sound ...less appealing? with 'truer' high end monitors?

I don't really know how to judge this.

My space is untreated so far, it will be treated very soon. But until then I have no way of knowing what they will sound like in this actual room.

edit: the best way to explain it is kind of like a loose snare chain sound?

Last edited:
I really think these are just SO clear that it was tricking me into thinking they had buzz.

The more I listen to these things the more I am falling in love with them. Still curious though what others say.

Last edited:
So I just purchased some Adam A7X's and Im not sure if this is a problem with the speakers or it they are just that clear in the upper mids and I'm not used to how it sounds.

I listened to them for awhile in the store comparing them to yamahas and Rokits. The listening conditions in the store weren't very accurate since the Adams were coming at me from above, yams from below, etc....

Anyway i went with the Adams and now that I'm listening at home I can(I also noticed this at the store but wrote it off because of the listening conditions) hear a little buzzy sound whenever there is a Saw lead or bass or something similar. Now obviously I know a saw lead DOES create a buzzy sound. So I'm not sure if this is just the true clarity of the speakers, or if something is wrong with mine. Mine were a display model but they were only on the shelf for a couple weeks. But I've never noticed the 'buzz' in these songs being this clear before. So is it actually THAT clear or is my speaker reproducing artifacts..IF THEY ARE artifacts, how does someone uneducated in speaker referencing like me find out? Because that buzz isn't my favourite sound by any means, but if its a true representation thats ok because thats why I bought more expensive speakers. But if they are artifacts, i need to figure out a way to find out haha.

I don't really have any other monitors to compare them too in my listening space so I am just going to see if anyone else has experienced or been surprised like this with a new pair of adams?

Is it normal for a saw or 'buzzy' bass to sound ...less appealing? with 'truer' high end monitors?

I don't really know how to judge this.

My space is untreated so far, it will be treated very soon. But until then I have no way of knowing what they will sound like in this actual room.

edit: the best way to explain it is kind of like a loose snare chain sound?

Whenever I want to hear
whether an unpleasant sound is speaker distortion or a distorted-sounding source,
I always use reverse-stereo.

The idea is that if you have some speaker damage,
it's not likely to exist in both speakers.

The new Rise Against album had some crazy mid distortion that made me worry that my left monitor was screwed up,
but a playback with reverse stereo revealed that it was actually a distorted source.

-Ki
Salem Beats

It's likely the lower highs you are hearing, the tweeters on those are very revealing but can also be VERY fatiguing..

Slap on a singal generator with a sine and see if it's the speakers..

Last edited:
It's likely the lower highs you are hearing, the tweeters on those are very revealing but can also be VERY fatiguing..

Slap on a singal generator with a sine and see if it's the speakers..

It was just me not being used to the speakers I think. After listening to em the last couple nights I love them, worth every penny.

When you close your eyes and sit in front of them; someone might as well be painting a 3D picture right in front of your depicting where the sounds are supposed to sit in the mix. The stereo image is amazing. Anything from mid-lows to highs are sooo transparent. And the lows are nice and tight.

The only way to describe these monitors is by using visual examples, because they work that damn good. Like I said, its like someone is just giving you a piece of paper that shows you exactly where something is sitting in the mix. If you close your eyes the speakers do the rest for you. Im used to the buzzing now and actually have grown to like it. I referenced a ton of different 'smoother' songs and didnt pick up any buzzing. So it definitely just brings up that part of the spectrum for certain sounds, no problem with the speakers.

Back