Will an EQ color my sound?

why put it on if you are not going to use it?

secondly, it depends entirely on what the eq is; some modules do not act until the controls are moved, others are active start to finish, this is particularly true of anything trying to emulate how hardware behaves, as in the case of hardware there will be some phase delay in the circuitry due to the components used (resistors and capacitors combine to form time delays at the resonant frequencies of the eq regardless of the boost/cut status of the variable controls)

so, tell us:
1) which daw
2) which eq module/vst

and we might be able to provide a better answer

Last edited:
FL Studio, EQUO Vst. I ask because sometimes i put it on the master channel just to check where frequencies are hitting.

I do the same thing, but with Parametric EQ 2. Neither of them color your song unless you move a slider.

Analogue modeled stuff, as Bandcoach mentioned, will probably colour off the bat. Digital EQ can too. This is why I don't use the Live EQ3 at all. I think it isn't nearly phase linear, so you can hear the difference it makes just adding it.

eq is mainly to cut / raise frequencies. you have to move the bands to add color though i don't suggest doing that on your master channel..

For just monitoring frequencies I suggest to use frequency analyzer (SPAN or BC Freqanalyst, both of them are free).

Back