Why don't the Big Producers use FL, Reason, Logic ect?

H

HiQue

Will I Am
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA
Premo
Pete Rock
Kanye West

Everybody major..

Only dudes im into that use software based setups are the whole Odd Future qlique, and they get criticized for sounding low quality.

This isnt a hardware vs software thread, Im just curious as to why the people at the very top of the game lean towards hardware.

A couple of things come to mind...

* They probably DO use DAWs - if only for recording the output of their hardware setups
* If you see a video of a high-profile producer working out in his/her studio, it's obviously much cooler to bang on an MPC or twist the knobs of a synth or a big-ass console instead of mousing around in a DAW
* They've been at this for a long time and are used to their hardware workflow
* They have engineers to do their dirty work - ie. they just do the groundwork and the engineers handle the DAW stuff
* They're rich and can afford pretty much whatever they want

And of course that list is only a small slice of big-name mainstream producers. There's plenty of major producers out there that aren't in the limelight (and there's plenty of other kinds of music than what these dudes do).

Will I Am does use reason and then some

this just the start i have to look for
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA

but they all are soft as well

even the beastie boys and public enemy and there old school

Will I Am
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA
Premo
Pete Rock
Kanye West

Everybody major..

Only dudes im into that use software based setups are the whole Odd Future qlique, and they get criticized for sounding low quality.

This isnt a hardware vs software thread, Im just curious as to why the people at the very top of the game lean towards hardware.

Most of the producers on this list haven't been relevant in years

Most hit producers today use the software you mentioned

Tim is a big native instruments head btw

Last edited:
Um sorry to tell you, but a lot of big name producers uses software such as Reason, FL, Logic and more. There are many who use just hardware but it's more common to see a big name producer using Reason, FL, or Logic these days.

Being in the industry for many years, I have to say Hardware is becoming less and less used. Most of my old synth now cover dust as I find it much easier to create edit and manipulate on pc. Don't get me wrong, I still use hardware to play ideas out that have been lingering in my head and once the idea and concept is there it goes straight into DAWS. This whole argument is also limited to the genre as you wont find many country music artists using FL or Reason.

With that said depending on genre you will narrow down which sequencers artists choose and these days Production Software is like a pair of cloths. Some producers get paid to use/promote certain products because people who look up to them will follow. Also the question of which software is the best, has become completely obsolete as most sequencers do the same, the only difference is the user interface. The sound that you get out of a software is only as good as the user is.

I learned back in the 90's on fast/music tracker and than got into Fruity and have been using it ever since. I got many times to a point where I thought if I changed software I will sound like that other guy but that is not true. I look at abelton and wonder where the heck do I start so I went back to the drawing board, researched and read the FL bible again and again until I got the software to do what I wanted it to.

Sorry to crap on but my advise is (depending on the genre you produce) buy the software, read, watch, study, try & fail until whatever is in your head your able to translate into your setup. This doesn't happen over night and will take sometime maybe years as you constantly discover new stuff and learn new ways of doing things. Don't listen to people who say this is better than that because those people spend years with that software and know it from the inside and out. Don't do your head in by researching tracks and artists that produce in different sequencers. Everyone has the capability of loading/manipulating samples, adding vsti's, adding midi hardware etc... How you make it sound comes from your experience with the software and your own talent levels.

Just my two cents.

Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in the industry for many years, I have to say Hardware is becoming less and less used. Most of my old synth now cover dust as I find it much easier to create edit and manipulate on pc. Don't get me wrong, I still use hardware to play ideas out that have been lingering in my head and once the idea and concept is there it goes straight into DAWS. This whole argument is also limited to the genre as you wont find many country music artists using FL or Reason.

With that said depending on genre you will narrow down which sequencers artists choose and these days Production Software is like a pair of cloths. Some producers get paid to use/promote certain products because people who look up to them will follow. Also the question of which software is the best, has become completely obsolete as most sequencers do the same, the only difference is the user interface. The sound that you get out of a software is only as good as the user is.

I learned back in the 90's on fast/music tracker and than got into Fruity and have been using it ever since. I got many times to a point where I thought if I changed software I will sound like that other guy but that is not true. I look at abelton and wonder where the heck do I start so I went back to the drawing board, researched and read the FL bible again and again until I got the software to do what I wanted it to.

Sorry to crap on but my advise is (depending on the genre you produce) buy the software, read, watch, study, try & fail until whatever is in your head your able to translate into your setup. This doesn't happen over night and will take sometime maybe years as you constantly discover new stuff and learn new ways of doing things. Don't listen to people who say this is better than that because those people spend years with that software and know it from the inside and out. Don't do your head in by researching tracks and artists that produce in different sequencers. Everyone has the capability of loading/manipulating samples, adding vsti's, adding midi hardware etc... How you make it sound comes from your experience with the software and your own talent levels.

Just my two cents.

Christian

Haha i been there
FL is brilliant...but sometimes its hard sitting at a computer for 4 hours
A lot of them time I feel id rather do it on hardware.....(Its not about the results, I get a great sound outta fruity.)
But itd be a lot more fun to bang it out on MPC Pads or an MV

Based on what Hard Vibes said, I figure it's best to use PT because you'll be able to go into the most studios and know what you're doing. Right?

Last edited:
Based on what Hard Vibes said, I figure it's best to use PT because you'll be able to go into the most studios and know what you're doing. Right?
Yup...but most big studios would have more than one DAW...Wouldn't they?

^ Yeah, but will they have exactly FL Studio? Or will they have Pro Tools HD, Logic Pro, Ableton and Reason only and now you don't know what to do because FL Studio is what you're legit with?

Then I suppose ill bring my FL on a USB Drive or something..?

Last edited by a moderator:
^Just track out the beat.

Most studios don't have FL so like CPhoenix said, export stems or individual tracks of your project.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Will I Am
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA
Premo
Pete Rock
Kanye West

Everybody major..

Hardware looks better on the hype videos and is quicker for the rich and impatient. A lot of that hardware you see them banging on is connected to software anyways. It's impossible to do half the things in the hits today without using a DAW.

What style of music do you produce?

If you do alot of live inc instruments, vox, percussion & multi channel recording/editing etc.. Than Abelton, FL and Reason is perhaps not your software.

Pro Tools & Logic is the way to go. Every studio has it and with that said, these days a good studio should have everything. However, I havn't come across anyone yet who wanted to go and pay for studio time to use FL or Reason.

I am a trance producer, so for me using PT or Logic is just doing everything 100x slower but when I do record a violin or vocal for a track, I tend to resort to Soundforge or WaveLab for recording and editing the ruff bits. Once the track is finished in FL i send it of to a mastering studio as a complete track, pay $150 and get 3 different masters back.

Christian

thats actually not true Timbaland and Danja Handz and many other big guys out there use DAWs in their studios...but like another guy up here said before...many big producers are out there that you may have never heard of

Back