Why don't the Big Producers use FL, Reason, Logic ect?

Some names I keep hearing are Logic, Pro tools. Names that come after that are cubase, ableton, reason. Sonar also gets some mentions (probably a few dozen more out there that offer the same). Then there are some free linux kinda based DAWs.Tbh, pick whatever feels right. Download some demos, feel them a bit, watch some youtubes. Pick one and go practice until your mind gives. Going excentric always worked for artists :P
There are ppl that make do with a hollow tree a single snared instrument a crappy voice and a tape deck recorder :D
Next to that, picking your DAW considering you might end up in a major studio trying to master and mix your stuff seems far fetched. Any studio can handle wave files. You could just take your laptop there and have that producing the wave files to mix. Other then that, a lot of studios do support Logic and Pro tools yeah. I'd rather aim at being able to do that yourself in your home studio. By the time you get to wanting to pay major studio hours, you better have some understanding of mixing and mastering at that point yourself if you do aim at producing music as oposed to playing an instrument or a few. Why not spending the money on a midi controller mix pannel, some accoustic shielding and use your favored software to mix and master it yourself?
Also, I see a lot of ppl taking their laptops to the studios if they do decide to head into some hired studio. What I do know is that a lot of artists, hoping to be stars, out there, usually don't have the kinda cash to pay those big studios. Some of them do that yeah. A lot of them try to make do with the ppl around them that offer an amateur version of a big studio to mix down their stuff or a friend of theirs that'd even do it for free.

Last edited:
re

tons do. Guys on your list use FL and obviously they all use a traditional DAW to some degree. I can only really speak on why I use hardware mostly to write. Generally it sounds better to me and it allows me better tracking quality and options. that is the main reason and to me that kind of thing trumps workflow and other issues that may come with it. of course some guys have their system down and dont care tweak it (if ait aint broke approach). thats cool. On the other end, some guys are inspired by constantly changing rigs and trying new things. my policy is whatever works for you is right.

There are a lot of majors that use Logic Kayne West and Just Blaze that use Logic

You say they Moved Up from FL to Ableton.. I have both, but never used Ableton (Cant figure it out)
Is there any major differences that would put it ahead of FL?

ahoy HiQue <> i think Ableton is better suited for live performance/soundclash <> saw an old member of Blue Man Group using it(on some mindless tv show) with a touch-screen = was a cool technology demonstrator <> so far as i know Skrillex and Datsik used Ableton, i saw both of them do shows recently <> i have heard that someone has made a driver for the ex-bawks360 kinnext to be used with Ableton(? YouTube ?) <> The Prodigy is the only recording artist i know for sure uses FL, production, not live shows

Probably because they're too expensive.

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

And too complicated to use.

Logic is a name a lot of major producers use. They also buy mac's because they are better since they cost more...............................wait for it......................wait for it. :)

And why by a SOFT synth when you have the real thing? It just seems softer. They want that HARD stuff. You want a 303...................why get the emulation if you got the money? You want a Moog...........why get the emulation?

Herbie Handcock said he buys all of this equipment and only uses what he likes in them. I would love to be filled in a room thing...."I can't wait to put this idea in my head of the sound I played around with in my Juno.....it will go nice with the real Roland 808. Getting up and walking to all of that gear is good excercise. "Engineer man......have a seat and make sure everything you do with that software stuff.....you do what you do........time for me to get up and have some fun!!" Do the wop!! And the humpty dance.

Last edited:
Probably because they're too expensive.

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

And too complicated to use.

Fruity loops starts at $99 that's hardly expensive. Logic is like $200 again cheap. Reason is $600 which I can understand but anyone with a job should be able to afford it too. Its not like its a monthly payment or something.

Yeah... whose to say they don't? I think its a misconception that big name producers exclusively use hardware. When it comes to workflow (unless your a stubborn ****) I think alot of folks have switched over to DAW production.

AfroJack uses Fl-studio...

I heard he is not to most unknown producer nowadays:)

cheers

You do realise that you're only talking about hip hop producers? So many big electronic artists (Deadmau5, Skrillex, Jon Goosh) use DAWs. I'm pretty sure even Pendulum does it as well. Most producers who started lets say, 10+ years ago producing started on hardware since it was more common at the time. The world of DAWs is pretty new.

I've heard from multiple sources that are in the industry on a regular basis that super producers essentially lie about what software they use because it doesn't sound as "cool". J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League has made cracks about FL on Youtube and yet can actually be seen in a few random videos working IN FL Studio. I was told when asked, I should just lie and say Pro Tools even though I use FL since some people will (ignorantly) judge your tracks prematurely.

Well Dj Khalil is relevant now and he uses Reason.

Will I Am
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA
Premo
Pete Rock
Kanye West

Everybody major..

Only dudes im into that use software based setups are the whole Odd Future qlique, and they get criticized for sounding low quality.

This isnt a hardware vs software thread, Im just curious as to why the people at the very top of the game lean towards hardware.

If you look closely... youll see Ryan Leslie uses both Protools & Logic, i also know somebody that has been through Dr Dres studio with Daz Dillinger, in which the main software setup was Protool based, Ive seen Will I Am use reason, theres a video on youtube somewhere, There's also a video of timberland in the studio where he opens up Protools, Trax which produced alot of Twisters G5 Album used Protools, Ray J's album was made in Protools and Logic, the dude who made the the New Boyz latest album also used a cross between Protools and Logic, the same Producer who done their album also done a track for Justin Bieber and Drake, which can be found on their albums. The list goes on.. lol

Exactly, most on the part for drums use the MPC to get down drums when I use to use it for the whole song. I had to make that transition into Reason. Now if I make a track with the MPC and with Protools I Just do it in 4 bar sequences, track it out to Protools which is really fast then from Protools export which is hyper fast so I can bring it into Reason. Then my other way I produce is start in Reason and stay there. I really don't like trying to make beats in Protools, sounds don't flip over like they suppose to on the grid. In the MPC it does, cause of having the Poly on. Reason Kong does this so it's all good doing it there. I see people using all types of stuff from PT to Logic, FL, Live, Reason, etc, just one choose their weapon and be on with it, whatever you use if it's a hit it's a hit.

If you look closely... youll see Ryan Leslie uses both Protools & Logic, i also know somebody that has been through Dr Dres studio with Daz Dillinger, in which the main software setup was Protool based, Ive seen Will I Am use reason, theres a video on youtube somewhere, There's also a video of timberland in the studio where he opens up Protools, Trax which produced alot of Twisters G5 Album used Protools, Ray J's album was made in Protools and Logic, the dude who made the the New Boyz latest album also used a cross between Protools and Logic, the same Producer who done their album also done a track for Justin Bieber and Drake, which can be found on their albums. The list goes on.. lol

Indeed, Whatever the software, you can gaurentee a hits been made from it.. As for drums in protools / logic, or sampling.... Maschine is fire!!!!!

Exactly, most on the part for drums use the MPC to get down drums when I use to use it for the whole song. I had to make that transition into Reason. Now if I make a track with the MPC and with Protools I Just do it in 4 bar sequences, track it out to Protools which is really fast then from Protools export which is hyper fast so I can bring it into Reason. Then my other way I produce is start in Reason and stay there. I really don't like trying to make beats in Protools, sounds don't flip over like they suppose to on the grid. In the MPC it does, cause of having the Poly on. Reason Kong does this so it's all good doing it there. I see people using all types of stuff from PT to Logic, FL, Live, Reason, etc, just one choose their weapon and be on with it, whatever you use if it's a hit it's a hit.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Indeed, Whatever the software, you can gaurentee a hits been made from it.. As for drums in protools / logic, or sampling.... Maschine is fire!!!!!

Back