What's On Your Software Wish List?

moderndaymusicain

ModernDayMusician.com
This past May VaugeWare.com posted an interesting "Top Ten"on the best software for music producers. Being an avid Reason user, I can say I'm happy with Reason's placement on the list, but it's hard to shake the feeling that this list wasn't necessarily made with Hip-Hop producers in mind. So, let's represent the Hip-Hop Producer! I'd like to create a "Top Ten Best Software for Hip Hop Producers" list for the ModernDayMusician Blog.

That being said...

What's On Your Software Wish List?

or better still...

What's the cornerstone of your studio?

Last edited:
^^^That list looks super old.

At this point, I have everything I need in Reason 7 for production and simple recording alongside Pro Tools 8 for advanced recording/mixing/mastering.

If anything I'm waiting for Props to release the entire Korg Legacy series as rack extensions. I want to buy the Polysix and Monoploy, but know the second I do they're gonna bundle everything else(mainly waiting on the M1)at a good price.

I'm a reason user, so more rack extensions are on my wish list. I want to see...
1)Jupiter 8 RE
2)Juno 6 RE
3)JP 8000 RE

Last edited:
I have so much really software already this is little for me to buy. But..... within the next year I will go for:

Omnisphere
Synthogy IvoryII
East West Choirs

I used to have a wishlist, but then I realized that "I'M" the most important piece of my studio and classics have been made with equipment that seem prehistoric compared to what I have.

Hmmmm. cant think of much.. I think I have bought everything I am wanting to have right now to complete the projects im doing at the moment.. Im gonna have to think on this one there is a lot of good SW out there.. :)

I basic do everything in Cubase 7 so my next buy will definitely be HALion 5! I really like this sampler and intended on adding it to my arsenal since HALion 4 but never got around to it, and now with the new included expansions.....I'm game!

Last edited:
when you write this exactly what do you mean... are you comparing just Kontakt library to Sampletank library... or that Sampletank is light on the CPU compared to Kontakt and some of their libraries i.e. Electri6ty... you are not a fan of the scripting/round robin/etc that Kontakt have... and least but not least the libraries available for Kontakt is out of this world... have you ever demoed Heavyocity stuff? without any flames i would like to understand your comparison of Sampletank and Kontakt... personally... i would put Kontakt in the same class as Steinberg Halion 5 and Sampletank in the same class as Hypersonic... Hypersonic does not stream from disk... just like Sampletank... Hypersonic has a small footprint just like Sampletank i.e. easy on the CPU... there is no scriping/round robin/etc in Hypersonic... same as Sampletank... i have just updated/upgraded to Halion Sonic 2 and i see Sampletank 3 being in competition with Halion Sonic 2 and not Kontakt or Halion 5...

i guess individuals could look at products differently... but just by the libraries available for Kontakt alone in my opinion there is no comparison... i have owned both Kontakt and Sampletank since version 1... i have seen little to no growth with Sampletank i.e. sound libraries/features and libraries for Kontakt come out about everyday...

i just think Sampletank has to caught up to Halion Sonic 2 before their is a comparison with Kontakt...

no flames just a discussion!!!

HALion Sonic 2 - Getting started - YouTube

in closing... having CPU power and ram is key to using Kontakt... if an individual cant run Studio Drummer, Scarbee MM-BASS, The Giant, Scarbee Mark I, Vintage Organ and Session Horn/Mojo Horns at the same time i.e. the instruments used in a traditional funk band (i cant run the above on my lappy but no problems with my desktop) then i could see Sampletank being useful to fill the gaps...

right or wrong these are my views... could you elaborate on your views... again... no flames just conversation/discussion on the subject matter!!!
My laptop runs Kontakt just fine. Core i7 2.2 ghz 8 gigs of ram windows 8 64 bit no problems what so ever. I like a lot of the libraries for Kontakt but for me its a bit deeper than that. Sampletank for me is a lot more straight forward. It clicks with me better. The 3rd party libraries for Kontakt is what makes Kontakt special to me but for what comes out of the box and the user interface its all about Sampletank for me. And by out the box for Kontakt I mean no Komplete content just the standard Kontakt library. The standard Kontakt library is good but to me Sampletank is just as good and then it comes down to the UI. I really dislike the Kontakt UI. I love the Sampletank UI it just clicks with me better.

Own and love Machfive 3. Don't see many others rocking with it. I've gotten used to using it's sound library inside BPM Standalone to make hip hop beats. If BPM's sequencer doesn't throw you off, it's a fluent way to make beats. Like working off a drum sampler sequencer running rack instruments alongside it.

Haven't fired it up in a while, been heavy into Reason, but the workflow between the 2 was sick IMO.

Last edited:
Back