Whats so cool about reason 7?

dspapoc123

All it has new is a visual protools like eq right? And some parallel compression quick button?
Not so cool for 120$ upgrade huh?

I don't know, I'm still on 5 and with me becoming more and more comfortable working in the box and not using samples, I'd happily upgrade to 7. It has that new audio quantize feature, like I think ableton has with it's warp markers, so that's cool. I sample myself playing frequently and that would come in handy for me.

And you can sequence outboard gear with it now, too. And you can chop and record audio direct into reason itself (I believe)

Annnnnnd it's infinitely more expandable than 5 and earlier versions with rack extensions.

So yeah, I'd happily upgrade. Just don't have the paper for it myself at the moment.

You can also now load mp3s(drag and drop)for audio editing. So you can drag a song straight from itunes into the program to chop into a loop without 1st making it a wave file. You can make those loops into rex files. It also has a pan and gain knob connected to the main mixer built into the instruments now so that you don't have to jump between windows for mixing(same reason they now give you the visual EQ).

It now also has midi outs so you can hook up outboard keyboards/sound modules. I've been meaning to rig it to see if I can control a standalone plug in using it, but haven't tried yet.

It was worth every penny IMO. It kind of completed my wish list for functions in Reason. For some reason I remember the upgrade being $100, but it may have been $120.

Here's the list of stuff on their page.
New in Reason 7 - Whatever your music needs, Reason has a rack for that - Propellerhead

^^^Lol, nope. They do now have "rack extensions" similar to RTAS in Pro Tools. Their own collection of 3rd party synths they can charge more than their worth simply for the format being Reason compatable. Alot of stuff that has vst freeware counterparts can run you $40. But I got tons of Refills and know how to wire effects together to get tasks done in Reason(been using it since 3.0)so I've yet to find a rack extension worth the money. I'll probably get the Korg Legacy collection if they ever release the M1 and give a decent bundled price...right now they have the monopoly and polysix for $50 each. That's B.S. when you can get the Korg Microkey 61 controller and the entire collection of 5 synths for $150. Those things are practically freeware nowadays.

ALL THE KORG STUFF SUCKS ESPECIALLY THE RACK EXTENSIONS, I am a synth/sound developer and these are the wet sounds i like....here:

apoc123's profile

the nucleus, mutagen , and omega are the big ones that rival the refx nexus vst! not too expensive either.....

^^^Really? You don't even find anything useful in the M1(basically the same library as a triton)? That's a must buy if they ever release it as a rack extension for me. And i've got a Triton Rack in the closet I could plug up thanks to the 7 update. Lol.

Last edited:
The Midi Out addition looked like the biggest addition to me. However... I haven't used Reason much since Reason 3... I left for VSTs :) haha.

Midi Out is huge in my opinion. That pretty much allows you to add outboard synths into your setup. Grab some cheap synths like a Roland JV1010, Korg trinity rack, maybe an old Motif rack, etc.... bam, you don't need a refill.

Despite that.. I honestly only upgraded from Reason 3 most recently JUST so I could get 64-bit ReWire... which allows me to be backwards compatible with a lot of my old music from my Reason-only days.

If Rack Extensions ever landed something huge like Kontakt and Spectrasonics (not "OR".. i mean "AND", as in both lol)... I would seriously look at producing in Reason again. However.. until then... I just use it for it's excellent stock library... it fills the gaps really nicely, since Studio One really lacks in the sound department IMO.

.. and yeah... it sucks that don't have Korg M1 as a RE. I mean really? They couldn't port that over? It's the best one. With Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor... why would anybody need PolySix too?

^^^Agreed. People have forgotten about Refills now thanks to these rack extensions as well.

^^^I've had Reason since 3.0. I own The Studio Combo(Piano, Elec Bass, Abbey Keys, Drums) and Electromechanical refills. I don't need a B3 Emulation Rack Extension, I don't need Radical Keys(Electric Piano)or Radical Piano, I have more than enough of all that stuff.

What is still lacking in Reason is a realistic set of guitar patches...stuff like Realstrat or some of those Kontakt expansion libraries that could easily be converted to NNXT libraries.

I got a Garritan Orchestra and Miroslav Refill collection. I'm good on symphony sounds(unless they actually get something like VSL or Eastwest's newer stuff that I doubt the NNXT could handle).

Even with synths, between the ones that come stock in Reason and me owning everything by PinkNoise(better than any RE Synths I've heard btw), not much of a need.

As you've said, Reason falls short keeping up with newer age stuff. Even if they don't make a Kontakt Extension, they could at least bring the libraries that the NNXT could handle over, but I think the ease of pirating refills made them switch to REs. I'd love to one day be able to run Komplete within Reason, I'd never look for another sound in my life...but that won't happen...other than running battery drums in Kong, lol.

What is still lacking in Reason is a realistic set of guitar patches...stuff like Realstrat or some of those Kontakt expansion libraries that could easily be converted to NNXT libraries.

I don't think this is going to happen. The "realistic-sounding" guitar libraries for Kontakt make heavy use of Kontakt's scripting features. NN-XT doesn't have any scripting features, and the device routing can only do so much.

Best chance is a RE port of Kontakt, or a purpose-built RE for guitar.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

it sucks that don't have Korg M1 as a RE. I mean really? They couldn't port that over? It's the best one. With Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor... why would anybody need PolySix too?

For a long time, the KORG VSTs were effectively discontinued -- KORG publicly stated that there wouldn't be any more updates.

Then after an extremely long wait, they FINALLY ported the bundle to 64-bit.

Who knows what KORG is gonna do?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back