What software are these producers using to make dubstep?

O

oneguy77

Are they using some kind of software that drills the basslines, or are they just tweaking the parameter knobs in normal software. I have Massive from Native Instruments and was just wondering if I'd be able to do the same.

As far as I'm concerned, the DAW isn't relevant to make that kind of sound. I've been producing dark ambient/dubstep in Fl Studio. Massive is a great plugin to achieve those heavy distorted wobble basses. In fact, I've been using Massive to make more than just the wobbles.

Live is very popular among that crowd. I see a lot of guys using Maschine for dubstep on YouTube and I know some guys who use Reason or FL.

Technically you can make any track on any DAW but as said above Live is VERY popular in the EDM world. I'm pretty sure there are a fair share of people using Logic and FL as well.

Some knowledge of synths, LFO, modulation, automation.

Drums that fit in context...optional samples. The Daw is probably the last thing you need to worry about to make Dubstep any genre at that unless you depend on a score sheet...long as it has basic stuff which is hard not to find in a Daw honestly... you'll be fine try em out and choose whats comfortable for you. Its up to you to learn your tools and to make it sound good. That said everything already mentioned in above posts, so you have plenty of options and a bunch of opinions to decide.

Although some DAW may be a little bit easier, the main thing is your synths and knowledge of them. You said you have massive, that should be fine for creating the dubstep sounds you hear. There are tons of tutorials on youtube that can show you how to recreate certain sounds from songs, although I would recommend that you learn the basic synthesis in massive first and then you can try to make your own sounds.

Last edited:
Alot of people are using massive for it's intuitive modulation routing and it's performer mode lfo tool.

interesting, because some of dubstep's biggest names used FL almost exclusively (i.e. Skream and Benga)

Benga uses an old version of Logic when it was still with eMagic and uses FL studio just to program drums which he later imports over to Logic. Joker uses Logic, Balkanski uses Reason and so does Bass Nectar. Burial used Sound Forge. You can make dubstep with anything you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
Back