what recording software should i get?

austinerary

HEy guys. Im really at a crossroads right now. Ive dabbled with all the recording software's and nothing is really fitting me. What do you guys like? i make mostly hip hop beats. I record vocal tracks as well and occasionally live sessions when i can find people. What should i try? btw: abletons out of the picture for now. Just imagine it doesnt exist for the purpose of this thread. Ive tried it. Not for me.

It depends on what you want to do.

1. Pro Tools
If you want to make money I always suggest ProTools first. I've ran studios for years and the average consumer only knows pro tools. It was the "industry standard" and AVID still dominates in pro music & video studios. If you want to paid as an engineer it is worth buying and learning Pro-Tools. I really don't use it for production...just mixing and engineering.

2. Logic Pro
If your own an Apple computer or would consider buying the best computer for music/video applications (to me) I suggest Logic Pro. It is the perfect all in one solution to pro production & recording. It comes with all the tools you need right inside the program and has a lot of power. It works well with other Apple software like Itunes, Final Cut Pro, etc. I find myself in Logic the most but I am an Apple computer user.

3. Reason
I use this program a lot for production. If you are from the old school and know anything about real analogue gear this is the most common sense program. The interface is by far the best to me. They made it look like real equipment. The mixer is modeled after a SSL mixing board. The REDRUM looks like a real step sequencer drum machine. The routing is done by dragging cables like in a real studio. You can use this program with re-wire to route it through Logic/Pro-Tools and use them at the same time or you can use it as a stand alone and get amazing results.

There really is no good answer to your question. Everybody has their own workflow. I suggest buying the one that you enjoy looking at. You will be in front of the computer looking at it for hours...

-735 Music

Look up Presonus Studio 1 on youtube.(in fact look up any D.A.W you're considering)

I knocked Presonus for years until i actually used it and i have to admit,it's one of the best D.A.Ws i've ever used.Just check it out and see if it fits your needs.

Peace

hey SoulGhost !! im with you on that one im using Studio one 2.5 and its the best workflow drag and drop functions kill any D.A.W these days !!!

That was really what sold me on it.I had to go back and apologize to a few people after watching Teddy Riley make a track lol.

Studio 1 is one of my favorites now.

Peace

Back