What are the differences between synthesizers other than the factory presets?

ls2013

Are there really any differences between synthesizers that make one more expensive than another? Why is Omnisphere a lot more expensive than Sylenth1? For someone who doesn't use factory presets and makes their own synths would there be any difference between any of these synthesizers besides the layout?

'...would there be any difference between any of these synthesizers...'

Different kinds of sound synthesis, filters, modulators, number of OSCs,...

Synths are a bit of a jungle and it's definitely possible to get ripped off.
Don't assume more price = higher quality, doesn't hold true IMO.

Once you start to learn sound design you'll see that different synths have different methods for generating sounds, some have more/different options. Some people consider some more user friendly (I haven't noticed much difference personally) some claim to have higher quality sound (Either cleaner digital sound or analogue emulation)

I would say learn your stock synths then make a decision for yourself, but tbh most modern synths are good these days.
Try randomly picking one from this list and you won't be disappointed:
Serum (Current favourite amongst sound designers)
Zeta 2+
Omnisphere 2 (lots of good stock sounds)
UVI falcon (very new, hasn't made a reputation yet but looks great)
Synthmaster 2 (the synth I own, got a nice wavetable update recently)

Specifically Omnisphere vs Sylenth, Omnisphere is both a rompler and a synthesizer. It comes with a ton of samples from Spectrasonics' classic sound libraries which can then be manipulated through all of the synthesis options Omnisphere offers. It's also a synthesizer though in that you can use basic oscillator shapes like wave and sine. Sylenth is just a synthesizer meaning there are no samples. All the sound is generated from the oscillators and the wave shape you have selected.

type of synth.
controls a synth has.
whether or not not synths are the same type.
13+ types of synthesis around.

Back