A way to safely back up plugins.

Ferione

Dear Future Producers,

I have an issue that i would like to get rid of once and for all because it is killing me countless hours:cry:.

So, i work with a bunch of plugins both VSTi and VST. Some are very small and just work as .dll and others require a major install (like Komplete 8 Ultimate for example).

Ok so what is the problem?
Well i have 1 SSD and 1 HDD. On the SSD is Windows 7 64 bit. As we all know, Windows is messy and needs a clean up every once in a while. With all the VSTi & VST's on my HDD, that shouldn't be a problem right? Wrong!

Turns out that many plugins install in directories / registers at the SSD (thus Windows). Now i know the workaround all that data to the HDD and work from there but this is tedious and you easily overlook / forget something (which can ruin your day). Also reinstalling is unpleasant as some major plugins (like Komplete 8, Omnisphere) take up hours on hours.

So i am in desperate need of a solution! That i can with (preferably one push of a button) put everything on the HDD as it should be and continue my work as usual.

Who has an solution for my troubles?

Odd. Even a pentium g203 would install omnisphere in maybe 30 mins-hour tops.

I use 2 harddrives no ssd for example, but I put my daw stuff on harddrive 2 and leave windows to an entire drive but still use it as a basis for some plugs.

Backing up the registry solves that if not want to reinstall stuff.

Last edited:
Odd. Even a pentium g203 would install omnisphere in maybe 30 mins-hour tops.

I use 2 harddrives no ssd for example, but I put my daw stuff on harddrive 2 and leave windows to an entire drive but still use it as a basis for some plugs.

Backing up the registry solves that if not want to reinstall stuff.

But if you do a windows back up it should take registry as well right? I thought this too but in the end it wasn't true. Thats why i come here to ask if you guys know something.

As far as installing goes. I have a legal license and 43 GB is not something i install in 30 mins. The many hours i need are for the total of all plugins. Not to forget the additional updates, and grabbing licenses from my accounts.

You'd need to do a disk image backup, which means kind of "cloning" the whole HD, instead of just copying the files and folders over to another disk. You'll probably want another HD just for this, maybe set up an automated NAS drive so you don't have to worry about it.

You'd need to do a disk image backup, which means kind of "cloning" the whole HD, instead of just copying the files and folders over to another disk. You'll probably want another HD just for this, maybe set up an automated NAS drive so you don't have to worry about it.

Yeah i was already thinking of that but Windows back up isn't doing that. And at the time you find that out, its already too late.

Perhaps i can find a way to make the software 'cloning' in stead of back up.

There should be a "system image backup" option in Windows that does this. There are also 3rd party software packages for this, if needed.

Well, while it sounds all nice and good, the downside is that you can't recover single files from the image - if you mess up and want something back, that disk image will revert the whole system to that state. It's also pretty slow to do that - so it doesn't exactly replace "traditional" backups. So, normal file-based backup for the "daily" stuff, and then an image whenever doing either big system changes and/or on a, say, monthly basis.

Well, while it sounds all nice and good, the downside is that you can't recover single files from the image - if you mess up and want something back, that disk image will revert the whole system to that state. It's also pretty slow to do that - so it doesn't exactly replace "traditional" backups. So, normal file-based backup for the "daily" stuff, and then an image whenever doing either big system changes and/or on a, say, monthly basis.

So in short i need a program which can do both at the same time. As i do not have a lot of knowlegde about this i would like to ask, would Crashplan be able to do that?

Soooooooooo gonna do that too.
Being able to save everything to an install like that...oh my god.

Haha, one more producer career saved :cool:

Last edited:
So in short i need a program which can do both at the same time. As i do not have a lot of knowlegde about this i would like to ask, would Crashplan be able to do that?

Crashplan is good, but I don't think (not entirely sure though) it supports images by default - but you can probably make the images manually & let CP back them up into the cloud/NAS.

Crashplan is good, but I don't think (not entirely sure though) it supports images by default - but you can probably make the images manually & let CP back them up into the cloud/NAS.

Well then i know what to do. Sending an e-mail to Crashplan. If it does work as i have in mind this is a great feature for a lot of producers for sure!

No more lost files, software, libraries, or even whole productions because of weak OS or 1000 other stupid reasons :shame:

Back