Waves Center on sale - worth it?

Milo Burke

Waves Center is on sale today only for $29. Looks like it is normally $149, though I'm sure it gets 33-50% off sales semi-regularly.
It's touted as a mastering tool. To help you salvage badly damaged tracks when returning to the mix isn't an option. To raise or lower the lead vocal and snare and kick, or to make a track sound wider, or add sparkle to the sides, etc. In my opinion, one should always be able to return to the mix. And a mastering engineer, upon hearing things like that, should kick it back to the mixing engineer before doing anything.​

So, as someone who creates his own tracks and mixes them himself, is this plugin of any value? Are there any creative applications?
- I could see it potentially useful as a tool for ducking the center in a stereo synth to make it sound ultra wide.

- Maybe it could be used to duck the center of a vocal making it sound nebulous? But I assume there would have to be stereo content for this to work. If you used a mono vocal with reverb, would ducking the center just make it sound wetter? Would one need to record vocals with a stereo pair of mics to benefit from this technique?

- In my opinion, as of early 2016, virtually all modeled pianos sound like plastic, and virtually all sampled pianos sound phasey and can't be used without panning less than 100L, 100R. Could this plugin lower the stereo width of a sampled piano without bringing out its inherent phasey-ness?​

Would those creative applications of Waves Center even work?

Can you guys think of any creative applications that would make it worth the $29?

Last edited:
Its def a handy tool. For 29 bucks just grab it.

Try it on synths / pads. clean the mud out of the center / brighten the sides. Cool for loops / imaging / synth / BG Vox groups. Lots of things.

Back