Zebra vs Sytrus vs FM8 vs Others: Your Favorite Software Synthesizer?

Which software synthesizer is your favorite?

• Absynth

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Atmosphere

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Cameleon

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Dimension Pro

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • FM8

Votes: 35 13.8%
  • Massive

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • Pro-53

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Rapture

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Reaktor

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Rhino

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superwave

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Sytrus

Votes: 34 13.4%
  • Toxic

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Wusikstation

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Xphraze

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Z3TA+

Votes: 27 10.7%
  • Zebra

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 54 21.3%

• Total voters
well i have all those plugins, and i would say Dimension pro... because of its flexibility. most of those plugins listed only have synth stuff, they may have strings and keys but they sound like synthetic stuff which is cool BUT-Dimension pro has the synthy stuff along with nice strings and pianos and horns, and percussion and ethnic material etc.. its an all in 1 plugin where so the others have synth pads, synth strings, synth leads, synth percussion etc

Last edited:
>>they may have strings and keys but they sound like synthetic stuff which is cool BUT-Dimension pro has the synthy stuff along with nice strings and pianos and horns, and percussion and ethnic material etc.. its an all in 1 plugin where so the others have synth pads, synth strings, synth leads, synth percussion etc

Judging a synth by its presets? Sounds odd to me.

Last edited:
Sqito said:
>>they may have strings and keys but they sound like synthetic stuff which is cool BUT-Dimension pro has the synthy stuff along with nice strings and pianos and horns, and percussion and ethnic material etc.. its an all in 1 plugin where so the others have synth pads, synth strings, synth leads, synth percussion etc

im not judging them as i said i have them inwhich i love them, but in a universal standpoint i would choose dimension pro because it includes the best of all sounds-
(besides, not every track i make is gonna include synth stuff, i myself also do organic/contemporary material) as well as hypersonic., i can actually create an entire song using it whether its R&B hip hop or ethnic or even techno..
where so in the others you're pretty much limited to only synth

i only use presets anyway, thats how i judge what i want to use although i might turn a few knobs like the release or attack and i might add more or less reverb but other than that i use presets i dont have time to go in and program sounds while im making beats its a waist of my time either its a good pluggin or its not and i judge upon its presets.

Last edited:
i voted other and the 2 i use most are vanguard and synth1. i dont use the presets though, every sound is customized.

philly86_187 said:
so what do u use now that has replaced sytrus for u?
I still use sytrus...its just not my "go-to" vst lol. Ive been unsing minimoog, fm8, synth1, and some DSK plugins a lot.

Sqito said:
So why not simply just use sample CDs? Well, I guess Sampletank has that covered. :D j/k (sort of)

why not use both, and more. anything i can get my hands on.. i have more sounds than ill ever use and ill continue to build

Sqito said:

nothing odd about that. Like Jimmy Jam said, why make patches when there are experts who get paid to do that? He bought his synths based on the presets and how well they inspired him. To each his own.

ThaNinjaMonkey88 said:
I seem to drift back to a Predator saw lead with Phasing on it every damn time I use VSTs.

yeah saws are pretty addictive

lol

PianoReeves said:
nothing odd about that. Like Jimmy Jam said, why make patches when there are experts who get paid to do that? He bought his synths based on the presets and how well they inspired him. To each his own.
WhoTF is Jimmy Jam? :D But ok: Presets can help to make a picture of what the synth is capable of - no doubt. But buying a synth for just using those is like simply just buying one-shot sample CDs. A lot cheaper and just as effective.

yeah saws are pretty addictive
additive? not without any substraction.. :D

Last edited:
Sqito said:
WhoTF is Jimmy Jam? :D But ok: Presets can help to make a picture of what the synth is capable of - no doubt. But buying a synth for just using those is like simply just buying one-shot sample CDs. A lot cheaper and just as effective.

additive? not without any substraction.. :D

you sound like my mate 'the cap'n'. is that you cap' spying on me?:confused::D

Sqito said:
one-shot sample CDs.

Can you provide an example? The only one-shots I've ever used were drums and percussion, never an instrument that's played out on keys.

Are you talking about multi-sampled one-shots of instruments where each note value is sampled (sometimes also sampled at different velocities)?

GjB said:
Are you talking about multi-sampled one-shots of instruments where each note value is sampled (sometimes also sampled at different velocities)?
Yea. Soundfonts for example. I'm aware that you might have one sample ranging just across 3 notes/velocity levels, but if you're not going to do anything else to the preset than hitting some keys anyway... I mean: A synth is not a rompler. The way the dudes I quoted are using them is just like using such a rompler. If you just wish fixed sounds why not get a Motif, Triton, Sampletank... Or cheaper: Sample CDs

Back