What Is The BEST VST For Instruments/Melody?

L3THAL

ok im starting to make my beats with no samples (just trying it out) now i have a couple vst's (quartet and wavestation) but i dont really like their variety of instruments like horns and guitars for example

can anybody tell me what vst is best for making melody's

This is kind of general of a question, but it depends on what sounds your looking for and your ability to know how. Usually multi timbral vsts comes with a good amount. The popular ones like sampletank, kontakt, hypersonic all come with tons of sounds. Even if you use any regular old synth, just adjust the envelopes, voices etc in a way you can play it. Your not going to find a best vst for melody's. Someone can favor a vst and speak highly of it but you might think its crap.

you can make a melody with any vst but you should get a free vst thats good like helix to start out.what daw are you using?

If you're going VST's you should get Sampletank, Sonik Synth or Hypersonic. If you can afford to then you should get Kontakt 3, Kore 2 and check out the EWQL stuff. The first 3 are similar type of VST's so choose one.

I suggest you get Reason 4 instead though and get loads of ReFills. There's going to be a lot more presets and ReFills available for it since more people use Reason than FL Studio and since it's self contained.

I've been using FL since i started and have loads of VST's but if i'm honest i'm kind of dissapointed. Especially with synths. I'm a preset person and i only find 4 or 5 out of every 100 presets usable for me. I'm going over to Reason for making melodies.

With real instruments it's different but Reason will have a lot more options with them because of different instrument sections and the combinator. So instead of having 20 different string sound options in one VST i can have thousands.

umm...theres a patch in that wavestation for horns and layer that **** with edirol orchestral or even layered horns in hs2....sampletank, nexus....

There are a million great free plug-ins. Download free Kore Player, Kontakt Player, Independence Free, Alpha Free, E-Mu Proteus VX, UVI Workstation, nX-Synth 2, SynthMaster Free.... there are links to them on my webpage.

I co-sign Hypersonic 2 but I don't think its for sale anymore

I definitely recommend Hypersonic 2, it's still for sale here and there but if you can't find it out there (points to the real world) then I'm sure you can find it in here (points to the internet).

I definitely recommend Hypersonic 2, it's still for sale here and there but if you can't find it out there (points to the real world) then I'm sure you can find it in here (points to the internet).

Casio is even better than hypersonic.
Hypersonic has some good pads, but the rest of the sounds are a joke. If you plan to use Hypersonic make sure to get some good VSTis or even better: A Hardware Workstation or Hardware sound module.

hypersonic neither does good job emulating live instruments nor hardware keyboards type sounds, the synths are so-so

Last edited:
I asked myself the same question back when I began melody creation using VSTs. Ive found the following VSTs most useful:
-Hypersonic 2
-Nexus
-Purity
-Triangle
-Pentagon 2
-Predator
-Albino 3

They all have default presets with synthesizers letting you cutomize sounds. If you can afford it, ide say go for it. Orchestra sounds are also good, you'll find leads will get boring. So you should look into:
-EWQLSO
-Garrison Personal Orchestra
and if really desperate (I wouldnt advice it buts its cheap and useful)
-Edirol Orchestral

Edirol sounds are rinsed. Good to be different. EWQLSO has rich unique sounds. I hear Miroslav Philharmonik is very good too. Im looking to get the Classik version ;]

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
If you're starting out making beats. I would look at the arturia line of vsts or find sampletank on sale. I am not endorsing NI stuff because for people that are starting out, their VSTs are a little more cumbersome and you may be using most of your time searching for sounds. NI is very powerful, but there's a little more of a learning curve when using the NI instruments.

Later on, when you get more serious I would then look towards NI stuff. I would strongly consider Komplete 6 with Kore 2. But, I would not get one without the other. I have K5 and it's just too bulky without a patch librarian like Kore 2.

If you have an established sound you are looking for you may want to focus on VSTs that address the instruments you use the most. For example

Horns - First call Horns, CH Horns, Brit Horns, etc.

Bass - Trilogy, CH Bass, Bassis

Guitar - CH Guitars, Papen RG, etc

You will get less sounds per dollar, but they will be sounds that are more targeted to your needs and style.

peace

Last edited:
purity got some nice pianos, bells and tight electro drums,
nexus's guitar expansion is very useful. but presets are also usefull like pianos, pads synths, arpegios.

What kind of melody/solo sounds are you looking for? Saxophones? guitars? lead synths? bells?

I am a big VSTi user so I think many plugs are helpful for the things that I go for, but standalone you can do almost anything with omnisphere or kore 2. I also recommend Miroslav Philharmonik, Quantum Leap RA (if you are into that sorta thing {World Instruments} which I totally am), Trilogy (Trilian soon) Massive, FM 8, Hauptwerk, TruePianos, and even more into forever. P.S. absolutely nothing is "best" in music.

If you're just trying to write melodies Sampletank and Hypersonic (the 2's) makes it easy. Work flow is important and I believe both of them bring this to the table. If you're just starting out, these two will do find.

I do agree that hypersonic does not have that many "authentic" sounds. But, people didn't really buy it for that. The sounds are good for neo soul RnB etc. But, don't expect to blow anyone away with classical or Jazz stuff (looking for real sounding strings or brass).

Back