Which VST's are worth investing in?

$

$uni

While I was learning the basics of fl studio, I downloaded all of my VST's for free from illegal websites (got a lot of viruses too :rolleyes:). Now I have a brand spanking new computer, my baby, (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30 GHz. and 32GB of RAM) and I will definitely never be downloading sketchy files ever again. I have some money put aside for VST's, about $600, however I would like to get 3-5 if possible. I've already tried the demo for Xfer's Serum and will be buying it, the full version is $189 from their site. Any suggestions on other VST's? Or possibly ways to get them at a discounted price?

komplete 10 ultimate might be a bit more than you want to spend but you get a lot of instruments and libraries and fx units for that price and a cheaper upgrade path as they release new versions

maybe also look to waves and buy units as they go on special or on weekend sale

this months current specials are found here

always check on Saturday and a Sunday NY time for weekend specials different plugins go on sale on each day for significant discounts

sign up for their newsletter/flier to be advised of any monthly specials as well

so far I have bought (in sequence)

US$59 for Musicians 2 containing Doubler; Renaissance Axx; Renaissance Compressor; Renaissance Equalizer; Renaissance Vox; SuperTap (normally US$160: individual pricing is US$675)
US$149 for Renaissance Maxx containing IR-L Convolution Reverb; Renaissance Axx; Renaissance Bass; Renaissance Channel; Renaissance Compressor; Renaissance DeEsser; Renaissance Equalizer; Renaissance Reverb; Renaissance Vox; Waves Tune LT (normally US$450: individual pricing is US$1194)
US$49 CLA Drums (normally US$150)
US$29 CLA Bass (International Star Wars Day special price) (normally US$125)

i have been using fl studio since 4.0 js but the vsts right that are dope are nexus,sylenth,omnisphere,trillian,hypersonic,korg legacy,kontakt between synlenth and nexus u would be set to make beats!! google the names also invest in some good drumkits hmu i could point u in the right direction #fawty

Yeh i specialize in peoples like you hahaw. Hardy hawheewhaw.

Pluginboutique.com runs specials on weekends.

Dont crack welcomes with bangers. Its an anti crack place.

Jrr shop.com.

Musicians friend.

Waves.com

Sweetwater doesnt have jack except for daws and for that they will do tech support ofcourse.

My synths are as follows.

Rapture. Some oscilators r hatd to work with. Limited presets. U can make ur own. Its intuitive with experience.
Sounds tiesto ee.

Synthmaster. Technical sounds great and is classy.

Zeta 2 sounds silver. Phatt.

Sylenth1 blast and easy to work with. Great trance synth and some of others too.

I highly recomend synthmaster.

It has had some awards toooooo. Hawhaw heehaw.

Are you looking for samplers or effects?
I would say get 1 1176 emulation, 1 LA2A emulation, 1 Pultec emulation, and 1 good regular EQ
I personally use UAD's most of the time, but those are the essentials for my mixing

"Library" vsts like kontakt or garritan to cover as much ground as possible. Zebra 2.
Even massive. Eh, omnisphere 2 might be good but the first one, meh alchemy had it beat.
You have Serum so for synthesizers you wouldn't need much else :/

Are you a 'design it from scratch' kinda guy or a 'presets' kinda guy? Makes a huge difference...
Serum will probably have you covered for a workhorse synth, but you might also want a FM synth, a sample based synth and a library of 'real' instruments

In terms of value for money, some of the FL stock plugins, sytrus and harmor seem pretty good. It's a shame alchemy isn't about anymore... Dimension pro/ garritan pocket orchestra are sometimes on sale for ridiculous prices too...
Slightly pricier but probably better overall are FM8, omnisphere 2 and Kontakt.

if you fancy designing sounds try synth1, its fairly powerful once you get to know it. use it in practically all my tunes

You didnt' say what type of music you make but if you're an FL user, I could guess at EDM. Anyway, if you want a very flexible warm synth, I'd recommend u-he's Hive. It's like Sylenth1 only better, and until early June is only $99. Listen to some of the demos here if you're not convinced.

While I was learning the basics of fl studio, I downloaded all of my VST's for free from illegal websites (got a lot of viruses too :rolleyes:). Now I have a brand spanking new computer, my baby, (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30 GHz. and 32GB of RAM) and I will definitely never be downloading sketchy files ever again. I have some money put aside for VST's, about $600, however I would like to get 3-5 if possible. I've already tried the demo for Xfer's Serum and will be buying it, the full version is $189 from their site. Any suggestions on other VST's? Or possibly ways to get them at a discounted price?

I just trid and reviewed Dune 2 on my youtube channel.... that is something that I really want... its amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing and all you'll need for EDM and Trap music.........

Toxic Biohazard is a good buy. It's got 6 oscillators, subtractive filters, and FM support for each oscillator in a lot of different patterns. It's MIDI learn function is really easy to use for controllers and you can also assign functions from the MIDI page. Each oscillator has it's own ADSR. It can also load up single cycle waveforms for expanded sound capabilities. People don't talk about it much anymore, but it's really a good purchase and there are patches on KVR for it also. It comes with some OK patches too. And of course it will unlock your FL Studio version too.

Last edited:
I just bought Bazille 2 weeks ago.. pretty great modular synth. I haven't had much time to use it because I've been teaching classes and working on other sound designing projects

Back