VST plugin for Normalizing Vocals ???

You should NEVER normalize vocals anyways. Learn what your doing first.

I was gonna say that but I wasn't gonna question it,just tryin to be helpful..on another note you should try google.Im not familiar with Acid but if you have Sound Forge you'll find it there.

ok, put all ur knowledge and shit to the side. i know u guys wanna help, but u honestly dont know any VST that i can normalize with?

NO, because you don't do it. It's not something that's done with vst's. Maybe if you knew what a vst was then you would know that you don't use it for normalizing anyways.

VST's run in real-time. Normalizing is a process. Not a fx. A vst that "normalizes" is just a gain plug. Something you can use the channel gain for.

So you don't know what your talking about. Clearly because only newbie's normalize vocals and RUIN their headroom and vocals.

Whatever your doing, stop it. Cause it's WRONG! Sorry you looked like and idiot asking this questions but I was trying to help from the start. I wasn't not answering your question. There is just NO SUCH THING BECAUSE IT'S STUPID. And I've used ACID before. It does normalizing.

And I've used ACID before. It does normalizing.

I'm not actually sure about that - from what a lil' googling I did it seems like it was only implemented in v7. Other than that (and I'm not at all sure about the correctness of my info), completely agreed.

bigdubz, in laymen's terms, normalizing just averages out the highs and lows of an audio clip. It raises some volume, and lowers other parts of it.

It's not the best mixing technique for vocals. You're much better off using compression on your vocals. The only reason you probably want to normalize is b/c there are many tutorials floating around for Cool Edit users where the guy preaches about normalizing to get your sound better. Most of the people that do it are part-time emcees who record w/ computer mics. I know this b/c I used to be one of them lol.

I haven't used normalizing in a LOONNGGG time. I guess a good use for it may be AFTER you've mixed your vocals and the beat.... but, ehh.. I dunno, there are other tools i'd rather use to get a good sound. You should ask more about those tools if you really want to improve the sound of your vocals.

bigdubz, in laymen's terms, normalizing just averages out the highs and lows of an audio clip. It raises some volume, and lowers other parts of it.

Actually that's not at all what normalizing does. All normalizing does is raise (or lower) the volume of an audio clip so that the highest peak in the entire clip reaches 0db and no higher. So when you do this you bring up the noise floor of the recording as well and possible clip the mixer channel if the software doesn't use floating points for processing, much like ProTools doesn't. It is never good for any audio track to be close to 0dbFS. That means that the audio was clipped or will probably cause clipping in the mixing process.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

When you record everything at the proper level and do not normalize anything it actually makes mixing easier because the track will start to "mix it's self".

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

I'm not actually sure about that - from what a lil' googling I did it seems like it was only implemented in v7. Other than that (and I'm not at all sure about the correctness of my info), completely agreed.

I'm pretty sure I remember using that feature way back at ACID 5. But I'm not 100%, it was so long ago.

Actually that's not at all what normalizing does. All normalizing does is raise (or lower) the volume of an audio clip so that the highest peak in the entire clip reaches 0db and no higher. So when you do this you bring up the noise floor of the recording as well and possible clip the mixer channel if the software doesn't use floating points for processing, much like ProTools doesn't. It is never good for any audio track to be close to 0dbFS. That means that the audio was clipped or will probably cause clipping in the mixing process.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, either way it's raising things for no reason... terrible for mixing vocals.

It's not the best mixing technique for vocals. You're much better off using compression on your vocals. The only reason you probably want to normalize is b/c there are many tutorials floating around for Cool Edit users where the guy preaches about normalizing to get your sound better. Most of the people that do it are part-time emcees who record w/ computer mics. I know this b/c I used to be one of them lol.

I haven't used normalizing in a LOONNGGG time. I guess a good use for it may be AFTER you've mixed your vocals and the beat.... but, ehh.. I dunno, there are other tools i'd rather use to get a good sound. You should ask more about those tools if you really want to improve the sound of your vocals.

lol. i currently compress and EQ my vocals. but all the recordings are done in my bedroom on a 130 dollar mic. so i just wanted to try normalizing some of the vocals to see what kinda quality i would get by doing so...

I don't even remember the last time I used normalize ON ANYTHING! I haven't used it once since I started to professional sounding tracks and getting paid to engineer.

Wow, you infuriated me to the point where I actually made an account just to reply. I know this is an old thread and you've probably changed drastically in the last five years so don't take it personally but I really struggle with people like you. There's a word for it I believe.. Snobs? Yeah, that sounds pretty apt.

Let me give you an example of where normalizing vocals is an excellent idea, and what drove me a quick search to see if I could do it without having to bounce anything down.

Making pads using reversed, looped, heavily reverb'd vocals. Normalizing brings up the tail and squashes the peak making the signal all round flatter - something you'd want if you're making the kind of pad I'm trying to make.

I don't know what the OP wanted it for but I don't think it matters - there's no incorrect tool in the music industry - which is one of the most beautiful and freeing things about music production, you can make something out of anything and you can utilise anything to your advantage if you know what you're doing.

Right I've said my piece, ttfn.

normalisation of anything is about setting the new peak-to-peak value

you can set your peak to any value you want. If you set it higher than the current peak then you will raise the noise floor by the same amount as everything else - this means that your processing chain becomes noisier throughout as a result.

whether it should be done is an entirely different question and one that should be considered carefully

any normalisation is a layer of processing which means yet another point in your signal where you add distortion to your final sound, especially if you are bouncing out or recording at a bit depth of 16 bits

as for your use within your process using a compressor or an expander would do the same job in real time with more controllable results

If you normalise then you end up using up all your headroom for EQ. Anyways, what you might be looking for is AGC (Automatic Gain Control) or leveling. Sometimes they are called levelers. But most engineers prefer to do it manually using automation.

Back