Tone2 Gladiator or Refx Nexus

mtjproducer2008

I am getting ready to buy a new synth for logic 8. And I am wondering which is better. I have the demo for Gladiator and it's nice but i also have the demo for Nexus even though it is not a "full" demo like Gladiator it sounds nice.

Can someone give me feedback on these two. Thanks.):):)

They are sort of different so it depends on you...Do you tweak much or usually use presets? Gladiator is a synth and will let go deeper in terms of sound creation. IMO the synth section in nexus is very one-dimensional with a lot of saw leads that sounds the same. At least in the version I tried, think it was 1..But it has some other cool sounds though....SO do you want some all-round sounds (nexus) or a synth where you can actually make you own synthetic sounds?

They are sort of different so it depends on you...Do you tweak much or usually use presets? Gladiator is a synth and will let go deeper in terms of sound creation. IMO the synth section in nexus is very one-dimensional with a lot of saw leads that sounds the same. At least in the version I tried, think it was 1..But it has some other cool sounds though....SO do you want some all-round sounds (nexus) or a synth where you can actually make you own synthetic sounds?

Nexus 2 is actually the same.

A lot of saw leads, bunch of pianos, strings, bass, arps and no tweaking options at all.

I like the gate and arp feature though.

Yeah Aykey is pretty much right. The main thing holding up Nexus is it's gate and arpeggiator features. As far as actual sounds go, they're good quality but they sound the same. Whereas Gladiator has a more variable selection of synth's and deep editing options to make them your own. BUT Nexus does have fairly large library of expansions to choose from. So if you like present selection, choose Nexus. If you like quality and customization, choose Gladiator.

Thanks I have decided to go ahead and get both. I'm getting a summer job and will be able to get them both. I really like the Gladiator demo but was not too sure about Nexus because they don't put a lot of sounds on the demo.

Gladiator is very very nice, i own it n its one of the best synths i own n i have a few hundred. a guy i know whu produces techno (lol) usses nexus n hes always rantin n ravin bout how gud it is n ive sat there n messed with nexus countless time n ive saw a lot of vids of people usin it to it seems to be really popular but i dont really get why? to me it was nothing special not as good as some of the sample bassed vstis out there that let u expand with ur own samples and soundbanks made by the company and 3rd partys like sampletank or kontakt, jus as a sraight synth nexus sounds to me like 1 of them lame ass instruments that kum with fl studio (lol) but i think to be honest nexus is aimed at the same audiance as fl ussers.

gladiator is also pretty expandable also, there are four expansions available now and i've only purchased one but it was like doubling the default library

i like nexus for all of its sounds like bells, and strings, brass, piano's etc but imo gladiator has nicer synths

I have to try Gladiator from the sounds of things. I've had NExus 2 for a while and it is pretty one dimensional. You can change the attack, release, and such. It has reverb and delay options. The Gate and Arp tabs serve their purposes. I have all the expansions so it's plenty of sounds. Downside is that most of the synths sound the same.

I would say nexus 2 because it's a one stop shop type of plugin not to take away from tone 2 because i love it but me personally i have both in my array of weapons

I have em both. I think gladiator has more unique synth presets, nexus you get alot of stuff that sounds the same, even with the expansions. You'll be using more disk space importing expansions. And there's arpreggiators and gates on like every other synth when browsing it gets kind of annoying, gladiator is organized by category. You get more parameters to control in gladiator, but it can feel cluttered at times.

I hate that gladiator is like huge. Its bigger than kontakt lol, my laptop resolution is 1280 x 800 and its from at the top of the screen and below the taskbar. In gladiator you wont hear much piano or strings if any. I think nexus uses more ram, gladiator uses more CPU, but i cant compare right now.

They both sound somewhat similar, ass of reverb, phasers, and flanges on mostly everything. Nice low mid on lower octaves. With the differences it seems like their even to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xUbJ7CgI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTCDlQK60NQ

If I could only choose one... it would be Nexus. Nexus has all of the standard sounds one needs.. and I think it achieves this better than almost any other rompler. It doesn't have as many instruments as VI One, but when it comes to the bread and butter instruments... they nailed it. Great pianos, strings, brass, synth. Very good w/ the standard things and run-of-the-mill synth sounds. You know... the type of synth sounds that everyone has and uses.

I like Gladiator for other sounds that aren't necessarily standard. There's more tweakability and such.

So again.. if all I had was a whole bunch of drum kits and I could only choose one.. it would be Nexus.

But... if I was good w/ the standard instruments and run-of-the-mill synth sounds... i'd choose Gladiator.

Last edited:
^except for all those expansions sounding the same. I agree with previous posts. All nexus 2 has going for it is its arp and gate sounds. It does them very well and it has some cool presets for those. Gladiator though is way more tweakable and has way better presets off the bat. Gladiator is my new favorite synth and I am finding it hard to not use it in everything I make now. Its that good.

You would be surprised which popular producer uses this (Nexus 2) alone with FL Studio.

Last edited:
Back