Tips for Reason 4 users without a Midi Keyboard

T

trophyscar

Hello, I'm brand new to music making software and so far with reason all I've been able to do is make some mediocre drum beats with reddrum and some obnoxious synth lines in the Matrix sequencer. Could you guys give me some tips? Also how does one make the note have more of an umph to them if you know what I'm saying, everything's so static and uninteresting in this sequencer? Also is it possible to take notes out in the matrix sequencer so that it doesnt have to play every second? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of things:

1) You can use 3rd party software to use your computer's keyboard as a replacement for a MIDI controller. It's not very comfortable, but might be helpful in some situations. Look in the downloads/extras section of the Propellerheads site.

2) To get more "umph" you'll simply need to learn to mix, find better sounds, learn to program the synths & samplers and learn about using note velocity & swing to your advantage. There's nothing wrong with the sequencer itself.

3) You can either automate pattern changes for the Matrix (and use a blank pattern for empty spots) or copy the pattern to the main sequencer & build your arrangement by copying & pasting.

Back