Seeking 90s house/garage FREE samples and VST advice please!!!!

Scottie15

Hi, Here to ask the advice of you guy's that are far more advanced them myself. I am doing well learning but a little hitting a brick wall lol.

I have brought a few sample packs but ende dup not being that good:( I am looking for FREE HOUSE GARAGE 90S STYLE todd edwards, nice and ripe style, those nice chords, one shots stabs drums etc, just so I can get moving with sounds that sound right. Also so looking to buy the best ones out there but neverous I dont pick the corretc ones.

I also like the massive vst and nexus vst but where is best to buy them form? Are they expensive, dont want to buy and find out I could have got it cheaper elsewhere. Also do people get these free at all?

In short I am wanting to learn to make house garage 90s style and need some help form anyone in terms of TUTORIALS / SAMPLES / VSTS AND keeping sane!!! Its very hard learning and must admit i love it but struggling.

Thanks so very much for reading and hope someone can help me. Take care

If you're looking for that particular sound, sample packs aren't gonna get you there..

Todd Edwards style garage track:
-sample a vocal hook from RnB, new jack swing, disco, old house joints.. something like that. Big, dramatic and preferable female
-chop the loop up in tiny pieces and rearrange them, pitch them up and down to create melodies and layer them.. .just go crazy here.
-for the bass, chords, leads.. mostly seems to be analog synths what he's using. Massive could get you there, but it doesn't naturally have that mushy warm sound. Look for emulations of old
synths like the Juno's and the Prophets, Moogs, etc. Korg has some staple house synths as well like the M-1 and few others. That'll give you an idea of what corner to look for a sound like that.
-pianos.. get lots of pianos basically.. samples, vsts, whatever.. you're gonna need a lot of piano sounds. If vocal samples are the bread, piano samples are the butter, lol.
-drums: roland tr-909 (or a sample pack of it).. remember guys back then usually had maybe like one or two drumcomputers and some records to sample.
If you had both an 808 and the 909 you were the absolute king-master-god-emperor.
Those things are limited as fuck. If you download any sample pack of them with like 20 to 30 sounds total, that's about the range of sound they had in them... in all their harsh, lo-fi glory.
But those sounds really are were 90% of the drums come from. The key to house music is learning to manipulate those into something funky and groovy.
If you can do that, you can do anything and you'll never be lost for sounds.

mixing? don't worry about it.. haha. That old stuff is usually very rough. Just make sure it pumps and works well in mono ;)

Back