Reason's Creative Essentials......Cubase.....?

B

Boogieman

I have been thinking about investing a chunk of change into buying Creative Essentials for Reason to expand my sound library, but the more I learn about VST's and Cubase and ReWire, I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile investment to get Creative Essentials...I mean the alternative would be to just pick up a bunch of VST's and learn Cubase/ReWire, which I'm tempted to do regardless. I'm just wondering which way you guys think I should go? Maybe both? haha...

k tia

Reason's help file tells you how to Rewire..Dont Waste ur money on that..Just get a Decent Host like Cubase and Get some VSTIs

In my opinion, VST synths sound a lot better than the ones in Reason. But Reason is a very powerful tool that works way much faster than Cubase and it doesn't put much strain on your computer. If only they could make a decent synth...Oh, that Subtractor...

does anyone have any experience with creative essentials? i know there are some ill VST's out there, but i've heard such good things about creative essentials that im really tempted to try it out....and it's been on my wishlist for a long time so you know how that is =P

i have the creative essentials refill. its a good investment. but then again you have to use it with vst effects in order to make the most of it. and another one of the problems is that if you use the sample, they're at a fixed tempo. so if you were to use ableton live with it to change the tempo, you have to export it to a wav. file first.

but the sound quality is pretty good. saves a lot of trouble recording, because its all top notch. the best ones you can use are the dr rex loops.

hhrrmmm....i know this thread is kinda old, but i'm actually still involved in the throws of this debate with myself =] haha... i think im just gonna give in and buy CE, learn Cubase/VST, and buy an MPD for drums =] bleh, might as well splurge

If you are using reason then something like creative essentials would be a good investment. It is basically a sampling of the CE series of sample discs put out by Zero-G.

I'm not sure what the guy who said something about fixed tempos was talking about. By nature loops are set at a fixed tempo and then can be adjusted afterwards, usually through slicing. Being that youare looking at a refill, my assumption is that the loops would be in rex format. The only way to use any refil in another program like abelton live is to either slave it using rewire or to export the loop. That has nothing to do with fixed tempos.

As far as require goes it is just a standard of communication between audio programs, much like VST is. If your host has rewire support(cubase, acid, abelton), then you should have no problem slaving reason to it and taking full advantage of any refills you have including CE.

sweet, thanks man. im buying it at the end of march when i move into my new house =]!

since it seems like you know a bit abour refills, are there any other ones i should nab?

i make hip-hop but i also do house and trance...

djmook said:

I'm not sure what the guy who said something about fixed tempos was talking about. By nature loops are set at a fixed tempo and then can be adjusted afterwards, usually through slicing. Being that youare looking at a refill, my assumption is that the loops would be in rex format. The only way to use any refil in another program like abelton live is to either slave it using rewire or to export the loop. That has nothing to do with fixed tempos.

what i meant was it will take so much more work to time correct your samples. the loops there aren't always rex files. sometimes you use the nn-xt. say you want to play a guitar loop from nnxt right? then you'll have to export it first to audio, to be able to slice it (via recycle, or live if you just want to time-correct it). i don't know any other way to fix it. reason doesn't have elastic audio, and you have to convert it to a rex file first before you can get to slice it. it won't just follow the tempo you set at the bottom. but if you're willing, it sounds very very good. if you make one pass at the refills they have, you'll be thinking "is that all?", thinking that you won't be able to use em. but then if you have a particular thing in mind, you'll be incorporating those riffs and samples in no time.

isnt that just a reason issue, not a refill issue? in which case, yeah i already know that...

Back