REALISTIC guitar VST? electric and acoustic...is ministry of rock the best?

dranner123

I've heard ministry of rock is the best to get but I wanna make sure before I spend that much.
Is it worth the money?
Are there any which are as good or better than this?
If so, are they cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

LewisD.

I'm sure it's great.
I personally prefer RealStrat and RealLPC.

I hear Electri6ity is amazing. A lot of people are saying that's the "best" right now, but honestly, the "best" is whichever delivers the sound you're looking for, and whichever you've gotten good at enough to get a good sound.
I really get down on RealStrat, so to me, it's the best. I combine it w/ Amplitube... sounds like a have a bunch of guitarists recording for me.

1.) A real guitar will always sound better

2.) It's impossible to really sample a guitar 1:1 with every technique etc. Unlike the piano where you have only one variable (velocity) you have many different variables in a guitar. They obviously can sample everything

3.) The playability of those libraries is just bad. If you're not a good piano player you won't gonna achieve great results. You have to switch between different playing techniques to make it sound realistic. To understand them you have to do some research. I think everyone would have trouble differentiating between them if he never had a real guitar in his hands / or saw some tutorial videos on the net. What I wanna say is that it's hard to learn all that stuff with a sample library because it isn't as intuitive as the real thing. You probably spend as much time learning and perfecting your playing with the keyswitching as learning a real guitar

4.) They are too expensive. Prominy LPC goes for about 470 USD. That amount of money will get you a really good midrange Les Paul.

If you're just fooling around your Sequencer stock sounds are good enough. I remember logic 9 having some nice guitars. If you're serious better find a session guitar player or pick up a real guitar. This is of course only my opinion and a little warning to anyone who is maybe expecting too much. I can tell from my own experience that sound demos are always dope but when you get the vst and play it yourself you start to think how bad it is because you can't use it to the full potential.

Last edited:
1.) A real guitar will always sound better

2.) It's impossible to really sample a guitar 1:1 with every technique etc. Unlike the piano where you have only one variable (velocity) you have many different variables in a guitar. They obviously can sample everything

3.) The playability of those libraries is just bad. If you're not a good piano player you won't gonna achieve great results. You have to switch between different playing techniques to make it sound realistic. To understand them you have to do some research. I think everyone would have trouble differentiating between them if he never had a real guitar in his hands / or saw some tutorial videos on the net. What I wanna say is that it's hard to learn all that stuff with a sample library because it isn't as intuitive as the real thing. You probably spend as much time learning and perfecting your playing with the keyswitching as learning a real guitar

4.) They are too expensive. Prominy LPC goes for about 470 USD. That amount of money will get you a really good midrange Les Paul.

If you're just fooling around your Sequencer stock sounds are good enough. I remember logic 9 having some nice guitars. If you're serious better find a session guitar player or pick up a real guitar. This is of course only my opinion and a little warning to anyone who is maybe expecting too much. I can tell from my own experience that sound demos are always dope but when you get the vst and play it yourself you start to think how bad it is because you can't use it to the full potential.

Thanks for your reply! and the one above.
I have played guitar for many many years so the experience, knowledge and intuitive is there. However, I have no good recording hardware and have no good knowledge on what decent recording equipment is because I've always made my music on a computer usually.
I know all the demos sound amazing because they have pro's making them and I know i'll have to do a lot of research.

But I guess I could just get decent recording software so record over beats I make. Could use it for other things aswell so it wouldn't really be a waste of money.

Are you aware of any decent recording equipment good for vocals and guitar?

Thanks for your help.

LewisD.

As far as playability.. MusicLab's done the best job so far. There's so much you can do in it once you learn how to work it that it's pretty amazing.
Of course it doesn't beat a "great/very good" guitarist, but it's better than an "average" guitarist any day.

I can't vouch for other software yet, but as far as possible playability is concerned, i think MusicLab's nailed it so far. Only thing I can think of that they really need to work on is how a guitarist can slide up and down the neck.

Yeah I agree with the above posters, IDK much about RealStrat but RealGuitar is off the hook! I can make some realistic sounding guitar parts with it. Now mind you its not going to give you magic right out the box but its the best base for a great sound.... with proper EQ'n and layering you can get some pretty convincing strumming, check my Reverbnation page and listen to the song "AMOR SECRETO" it was made with REALGUITAR, I got that sound layering two Realguitars on the nylon finger patch with each one panned opposite of each other, I ran em through an eq, then a saturator to add warmth and tone, and then a compressor to get that acoustic guitar POP sound. It's not the best, but a lot of people tell me they can't tell the difference. GOOD LUCK FAM.

Yeah I agree with the above posters, IDK much about RealStrat but RealGuitar is off the hook! I can make some realistic sounding guitar parts with it. Now mind you its not going to give you magic right out the box but its the best base for a great sound.... with proper EQ'n and layering you can get some pretty convincing strumming, check my Reverbnation page and listen to the song "AMOR SECRETO" it was made with REALGUITAR, I got that sound layering two Realguitars on the nylon finger patch with each one panned opposite of each other, I ran em through an eq, then a saturator to add warmth and tone, and then a compressor to get that acoustic guitar POP sound. It's not the best, but a lot of people tell me they can't tell the difference. GOOD LUCK FAM.

The guitar sounds really good on that song. The song is great overall :) good job!
I'll be sure to try out RealGuitar eventually. I'm buying so many new VST's at the moment its unreal. Good job I get my moneys worth with the amount of time I spend on my music :)

Honestly, being a guitarist for years, it's impossible to get a realistic sound, no matter how expensive the sample library is. There are so many different techniques while playing guitar. Open picking, open strumming, palm muted, finger-muted strings, tapping, sweeping, slow strumming, fast strumming...

There's just too much. Guitar is one of the only very very difficult instruments to sample.

Totally agree up the statements above about the different techniques....

but you'd really be surrpised how deep you can get w/ the MusicLab stuff. Again... you can't replicate verything a great guitarist can do... but you can definitely vary between playing styles on the fly. It's pretty impressive what they've done. I'm not sure how you can get better playability out of a virtual instrument lol

Back