MP3 players that use ASIO?

Steinberg used to do an app called MyMP3 Pro. It's been discontinued, I think, but you should still be able to get hold of it, if you hunt for it. Pretty good, actually. You could use VSTs, so all your fave mastering plugs were available.

foobar is the only one which springs to mind. ASIO support is a (free) add-on.

if you set your audio interface (which uses ASIO, correct?) as the default playback device in windows, everything you play will use ASIO drivers, cause it's going thru your default soundcard(audio interface). go to control panel and click on sound and select it in the audio and voice tabs. or double click the lil speaker down in the task tray. hope this helps.
LevLove

Last edited:
LevLove said:
if you set your audio interface (which uses ASIO, correct?) as the default playback device in windows, everything you play will use ASIO drivers, cause it's going thru your default soundcard(audio interface).
Nope. It'll be using the soundcard's WDM or WME drivers instead. Windows' implementation of sound processing doesn't use ASIO code. What are listed in the Sound control panel are not the ASIO drivers but their consumer-grade equivalents.

Anyway, the ASIO architecture is built such that only one application/process can access the driver's channels at any given moment. You wouldn't be able to run a DAW at the same time as Windows if that were the case!

Last edited by a moderator:
Straypixel, so your sayin that even tho all the sound on my machine is playin back thru my mackie satellite, it's using WDM drivers to access the mackie hardware? And the last part kinda confused me too,
cause i can have Live and/or Reason runnin and still hear music from itunes/realplayer/win media player rockin at the same time. It gives pops and crackles if i don't turn them both down a lil bit, but they both play at the same time, thru the mackie. My machine is a bit of an anomoly tho, cause someone said you can't run more then 1 soundcard at a time usin asio4all, but i'm able to get my SB Audigy and Connective sounds cards to show up at the same time in both Live and Reason (not talkin bout when they are rewired, but open 1 at a time) in the asio control panel (aswell as in live and reason's pref panels) and have 6in/12out. Don't ask me how, i just activated them and they work, i didn't find out til later that supposedly you can only run 1 at a time. I tried to add the Satellite in the mix for 8in/18out, but it ain't happen. Only the audigy and connective work simutaneously with asio4all. But havin the satellite as the default soundcard in windows and usin it as the interface for my audio apps, still lets me run daw+itunes at the same time on the 64 setting. But thats just me, don't ask how, i just do it.
LevLove

Last edited:
Control Panel in Vista has had my Lexicon audio interface as the default since I installed the ASIO drivers for it but when I used Windos Media Player or Winamp for example, it uses the regular Windows drivers which I know downgrades the sound quality (not noticeable to the average listener).

Playing via ASIO, MME, or WDM drivers shouldn't affect the quality at all, just the way the software communicates with the hardware.

Quality-wise it doesn't matter what you use. ASIO is more of a direct link with the hardware which is why it is more efficient than WDM but I believe Sonar users have decent performance using WDM drivers.

Hmmm I don't know then cause a couple of times when I had fl running I couldn't listen to WMP so maybe it does use asio I don't know...

That's because your interface is not designed to use multiple programs (clients) at the same time even if they're using different drivers.

For every device in connected to your computer you need a driver. A device can have multiple drivers but there is only one that can be used at the same time.

A "normal" driver(wdm, etc) goes trough various layers of software in your operating system and applications. When you just use your computer (wmp, youtube, other apps that use sound) the operating systems schedules the audio driver so it can be shared by various applications. This means that the device is shared.

ASIO (or asio drivers)is something developed by steinberg to provide low latency audio interface connections for pro audio. This kind of driver is a direct link between application and device with less or no layers of the operating system involved. This means that there is no scheduling of different applications (or the driver should handle this itself, and it's a very complex proces to implement)
so this means that only one application can use the device. But @ blasting speed!

my 50 cnts

Last edited:
foobar2000 as mentioned before.

from pc notes at sound on sound:

"However, it's the various additional downloadable components (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components_0.9) that make foobar2000 specially interesting to the musician. These include Kernel Streaming support, which, as I explained last month, lets you bypass the Windows Kmixer when using Wave/MME drivers, thus avoiding 'behind the scenes' sample-rate conversion. Another option is ASIO support (rare in mainstream audio players), which not only avoids SRC but also offers much lower latency, and there's also an Impulse Response Convolver, so you can add captured reverb and other effects to audio playback."

Back