Looking for a Free 8 Bit VST Synth / Progue Chipsounds Review Anybody?

Ivory Beats

Does anybody know of any good 8 bit sounding synths. Like that Sega Genesis sounding synth. I can't find any free ones and I really love that sound and I don't want to just sample Sega Genesis game soundtracks. Some examples of a specific sound I want are the beginning synth in Courtship Dating by Crsytal Castles or the synth in Schizo by Thelonious Martin. I've been searching and the best thing that matches what I want is Plogue Chipsounds, but it costs mula. So any recomendations for free "8bit" synths/VSTs would be appreciated or a review of the Chipsounds VST because I might just buy that if I cannot find a good free one. Thank you :)

do you have reaktor?, therea a synth in there
39377eea7b.png
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Support : Downloads : R3 Latest Additions

8bit vsts that are actually good are so hard to find..i have progue and it's actually really good but the best you can do is sample old games.

chipsounds commodore 64

8bit shaper pc

sfxr sound effect generator

not sure of links as I donwloaded these awhile back.

Should be able to find them through google or kvraudio.com or gersic.com

Plogue (not Progue) Chipsounds is probably one of the more authentic emulations (and it's an actual emulation instead of just doing some 8-bit-ish stuff) around, and does a lot of classic chips (not just the C64).

8bit vsts that are actually good are so hard to find..i have progue and it's actually really good but the best you can do is sample old games.
If we are talking about paid software too, it's not that hard. basic65 sounds quite authentic and for its price does its job well.

Last edited:
Back