how many gigs?

AJacksProductions

aight yall..this is to all my software users. How many gigs of sounds do you have and how much of that do you use? just wanna see who go the biggest sounds library.

ill start

i have about 4.5 gigs of sounds, but i just switched from hardware in march so im slowly building up. i think i use just about all of em too.

I've got a bunch of breaks and some drums. Everything else tends to get recorded while making the song or comes from synths. Not too big a library.

Hmmmm

I'm assuming you want the whole shabang Vsts and refills included, u asking for me to do serious math basically.....

Before i write this number down i aint even gonna lie n say i bought all of these damn things, BUT i do have legit copies of all of them....

Ok for the Grand Total,

Vst = 30gb
Drums = 20gb
Refills = 30gb

thats including vsts like sample tank n philharmonik which are sample based and have huge libraries, i dont use my refills much nemore because i really have become a Live user, rewire is cool but the more and more i used Live the more i just dropped reason all together....

I don't use nowhere near all my drums either i use the same 5 kicks and the same 5 claps most the time, because they are so easy to tweak....

The miracle of an external harddrive is crazy!!!!!

I have the COLOSSUS plugin which is 32 gigs by itself.
So if I were to add up all my plugins,refills and samples I am sure
it would be over 150 gigs.

All I need is my drum kit. Screw a library. Watch in 10 years ill be like ?uestlove.
I only have about 2 gis of samples period. Drums bass synth all together. On my 2 gb flashdrive. But all of it is fire I erase everything that isn't. That includes soundfonts too. But I don't really have a lot of vst's I mean I have about 20 and 14 are effect's the otheres are synths. None sample based.

yea man around 100gigs...most of em not used at all,but they there just in case

i'm with obi, i like synths as opposed to a lot of sample based stuff, my friend let me try out his miroslov library, (or something huge like that) i could not see myself having a plugin that took up a 3rd of my external drive and was not that much better then the sampled instrument patches in my refil library. now, i have less then 10 gigs of sounds and it's is more then enough. i got a lot of free refills off the net, most of which are synth patches so they are small on file size, but big on actuall patches. i also have a few free synths from kvr that provide a lot of sounds and tweakability so i can create my own sounds from that. i have more sounds than i know what to do with. the size of the sounds (file size on disk) does not equate to quality sounds or even quantity for that matter. that 15 gigs of strings and sht, didn't have a lot of diff patches, they were just needlessly 'hypersampled' so the wave files referanced for the patches were huge. i try to keep it light cause i do a lot of layering and sound design as i go, so i need my system resources free so i don't have a problem creating, no use in sucking up all your resources with a huge string patch when you only using 3 notes. oh well, i'm trying to keep my library under 10 gigs. not to mention the couple gigs of my own sounds and samples that i recorded and tweaked. if hadn't built up the majority of my sound library in Reason over the years, i'd be using solely Live for everything. i really only break out Reason when i need an acoustic instument patch or something. the majorty of the tasks get handled in Live, my weapon of choice.
LevLove

I agree with the general feeling that seems to be going on here... It's not really a matter of how many gigs you have going on, it's more about what you do with those gigs (this could also be applied to other things in life...).

Now that HD space is not so limited, libraries are getting bigger and bigger, but I haven't noticed music improving dramamtically...

its was a simple question...why does it have to turn into all that? how many gigs of sounds and how much of that do you use. i mean if that not you thing. you dont accumulate alot of sounds..i dont see how your post is very relevant. no being mean or nothin. but dog..dont think about it that much. its was a really simple question.

No you're right... simple question... ok...

I have well over 100 GB of sounds on my computer. With Logic installed, Reason libraries, IK instruments, Kontact 3, it all adds up.

I probably use a small fraction of it.

oh crap! i have 40gigs of sounds and i have no idea as to what percentage of that i use. 28 gigs are refills. 6 gigs are drum kits. i probably should just give away some of these because i refuse to believe i use all of them. i guess it's a rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it thing. if i have this on my notebook, i wonder how much is in my studio downtown?

Last edited:
MusicJunkeyz, for some reason i clicked on the link in your sig and i dont kno how many of ur sounds u use but u needa keep all of em cus i dig this usher remix ya did.

i know this post has nothing to do with the post i jus felt that remix deserved a compliment

Drums = 10 Gb
Vst + Libaries = 110 Gb
Refills = 20 Gb

Alot

Last edited by a moderator:
rtlogan513 said:
MusicJunkeyz, for some reason i clicked on the link in your sig and i dont kno how many of ur sounds u use but u needa keep all of em cus i dig this usher remix ya did.

i know this post has nothing to do with the post i jus felt that remix deserved a compliment

thanks i appreciate it

Back