free drums vsts

have a look for camelcrusher online, its no longer officially released but if you find it run your drums through it and it should give it some bit of a boost

Tight, punchy or loud? I tend to think of these things as completely different things that are always in conflict with each other...

In my mind, I think of them like this:
Tight is having a really quick decay and a really dry sound without much tail or reverb...

Punchy is having a really hard transient + good attack, and cutting through a busy mix even at lower volumes.

Loud is just the usual loudness wars type thing: louder = better and so on...

Last edited:
To make your drum punchy, use a good compressor. Most commercial ones are way better than the free offerings. However, if you're stuck with free, Audio Damage has a not-subtle at all compressor plugin called Rough Rider.

Do more drum sound layering and the drums will be more punchy/have more impact. Instead of one sample per kick, use two. Instead of one sample per snare, use two. Etc.
Not always true.
If your samples are good to start with you don't need to layer them, and if you layer them poorly or use samples that have the same faults you'll probably end up making your drums sound worse.

in most cases punchiness comes from eq and compression, so layering samples won't solve that problem at all

where layering does solve the problem is by layering the same sample with and without eq/compression - for this to work though you are using a parallel channel that is fed fro ma send of the first one. You then eq in lows and low mids to add a bit of a bump up. then apply monster compression; settings will depend on which compressor you are using but some general settings might be 10:1 or bigger ratio, fast attack and release, and threshold set around -40dBfs. this allows you to add emphasis to the low end without swamping everything else in the mix

Back