Best Vst for Sub Bass

Uhm All of u Are Wrong

Best Bet would be Kontakt - Native instruments Sub Bass is Great in that Synth

liek the guy said earlier, pretty much any synth will have the option of a simple sub bass.even free ones will,if its this only that you want it for i wudnt bother forkin out for a plug in that does exactly the same.

for general bass tho, that has subs aswell, id reccomend spectrasonics trilogy.

MaJR said:
Uhm All of u Are Wrong

Best Bet would be Kontakt - Native instruments Sub Bass is Great in that Synth

Kontakt isnt even a synth its a sampler...it might come with good sub bass samples though...

Edit: I just realised that Kontakt does actually have a tone generator doesnt it? Maybe that what you mean...

Last edited:
You can just use the tone generator in Kontakt to make pure sine waves for sub. I agree that Kontakt is excellent for this.
My other favourite is Novation V-Station which you can pick up for about 30 quid now.
Getting good sub is more down to skill than the equipment used.
I usually layer two bass sounds for it.

In V-Station I like to take a sine or square wave on the first oscillator.
I use the filter to roll off some top.

I then play a really low note and bring up the volume to where I want the sub to be.

Then I use the second oscillator to add in a little bit of triangle wave to add a bit of grit.

After playing in the bass line I bounce it to audio and duplicate it.
Now I have two identicle audio tracks.

On the first I roll off (with eq) everything above 100-150hz.

On the second I roll off everything below 150-200hz.

I mute the first track and just manipulate the second track with effects, just experimenting really. When I like the sound I slowly bring up the first track until the sub is at a good level.

You may have to play around with the EQ roll offs a bit.

Any synth, either free or paid for, that have sines, squares, triangle etc are capable of doing this and sometimes the cheaper sounding ones can be better for this application.

Hope this helps.
The key is to make it sound like it's all one sound.
It leaves you with a nice clear low end with a nice crunchy top.

GJOrange said:
You can just use the tone generator in Kontakt to make pure sine waves for sub. I agree that Kontakt is excellent for this.
My other favourite is Novation V-Station which you can pick up for about 30 quid now.

I then play a really low note and bring up the volume to where I want the sub to be.

Then I use the second oscillator to add in a little bit of triangle wave to add a bit of grit.

I mute the first track and just manipulate the second track with effects, just experimenting really. When I like the sound I slowly bring up the first track until the sub is at a good level.

Any synth, either free or paid for, that have sines, squares, triangle etc are capable of doing this and sometimes the cheaper sounding ones can be better for this application.

Hope this helps.

Couldn't have said it better if I tried.... Nice post....

GJOrange said:

Hope this helps.

This is a quality post. Good lookin out.

^Yes, but a bad idea to shell out that kind of money for sub bass.
Sub bass can be made with any number of free subtractive synth vsti.

Mattman04 said:
^Yes, but a bad idea to shell out that kind of money for sub bass.
Sub bass can be made with any number of free subtractive synth vsti.

These dude will never understand that, they have to make everything so complicated.

If they actually looked at your link they would have found Subfreak http://www.delamancha.co.uk/subfreak.htm it sounds great and even a monkey :monkey: could use it.

For the best quality in nothing but sub basses

TBL Bassline
Muon Tau Pro

look them up here www.kvraudio.com

I'm sure there's tons of freeware sub bass generators up there too. Suggesting $300+ programs for a sound that can be found on numerous plugs in the $0-$20 price range is kinda extreme isn't it?

Last edited:
lol

At which point did it get complicated for you nobelwordz?

Believe me, most producers would agree, there is more steps to making good bass than what synth you use.

Just plug in Subfreak and leave it at that and your bass will be lacking that "pro" quality when you put it next to a professionally mixed track.

To be honest, if you think that the stuff in this thread is complicated then:

1. Prepare for some years of hard learning ahead

or

2. Ask yourself if production is really the game for you.

Try my technique and compare it to using Subfreak and post back with what you find.

Junglist is now Called Hydra. Its pretty cool.

I second the suggestion of Tau Pro too.

But whether it be Junglist/Hydra, Tau or Subfreak, the instrument is just the first part of the process.

Last edited:
Back