Best Vst for Sub Bass

You can just use the tone generator in Kontakt to make pure sine waves for sub. I agree that Kontakt is excellent for this.
My other favourite is Novation V-Station which you can pick up for about 30 quid now.
Getting good sub is more down to skill than the equipment used.
I usually layer two bass sounds for it.

In V-Station I like to take a sine or square wave on the first oscillator.
I use the filter to roll off some top.

I then play a really low note and bring up the volume to where I want the sub to be.

Then I use the second oscillator to add in a little bit of triangle wave to add a bit of grit.

After playing in the bass line I bounce it to audio and duplicate it.
Now I have two identicle audio tracks.

On the first I roll off (with eq) everything above 100-150hz.

On the second I roll off everything below 150-200hz.

I mute the first track and just manipulate the second track with effects, just experimenting really. When I like the sound I slowly bring up the first track until the sub is at a good level.

You may have to play around with the EQ roll offs a bit.

Any synth, either free or paid for, that have sines, squares, triangle etc are capable of doing this and sometimes the cheaper sounding ones can be better for this application.

Hope this helps.
The key is to make it sound like it's all one sound.
It leaves you with a nice clear low end with a nice crunchy top.

That's great post. thanks dude. Back in "the old days" when we were all running aroung with sp-1200's and MPC's everyone was on the search for the best, cleanest, deepest 808 or synth sample. Now we are saturated with all of these plug-ins (and i admit i'm an addict and I really need to lay off....lol)

because as you said, at the end of the day all we are talking about is a generated tone. Of course you can still search for great sample banks which means someone has done the work for you, but half the fun is how can you generate, mainpulate, EQ, layer, compress, track, mix and match that tone to be cleaner and deeper than the next guy.

It's an art form in itself. A skilled producer can shake the walls with any one of those freebies, while a novice won't keep up with a thousand dollar synth.

All that said, there are some ass kicking samples out there that you guys mentioned like the IK sampletank and don't discount the good old 808 and 909.

I think I'm gonna go play with an oscilator now. Screw the highs and mids, just give me a woofer! lol peace

I think I'm gonna go play with an oscilator now. Screw the highs and mids, just give me a woofer! lol peace

I'm with you, nothing like a nice clean sine-wave oscillator to play with! If, however, you want to take advantage of my playing around with oscillators rather than doing it yourself, here is a sine-bass instrument for Kontakt that is great for sub-basses (if I say so myself) and has a unique feature: you can set a lower cutoff, and as you play notes below the cutoff, it will automatically start fading in a tone an octave up. Sort of like the foldback on a Hammond organ. So you can keep going lower and lower, but you never actually fall off the bottom of what your speakers can reproduce. SineBass - Sampleism: snacks for your samplers (£3.50; Soundcloud demo here).

either spectrasonics, or sample a bass note and make it loop. If your sampling a bass note though you gotta do surgery with it and get the loop points to be very accurate so theres no popping and clicking

What I really want to do is go to guitar center or somewhere that they have a moog hooked up and record a sine to the computer there and send it to my email from the computer at the store LOL

Last edited:
SMH @ this entire thread. Dude just wanted sub bass. All that takes is any freeware tone generator. At most you'll have to clean it up some with whatever factory EQs and Filters come with whatever program you're using.

Why would any of you suggest purchasing any module that specializes in more than just sub bass that comes with a pricetag to indicate it. As said before, right inside FL you got 3xosc and TB303. In Reason you have Subtraktor. You can get the Dreamstation dxi for absolutely free, it does it.

I'm not gonna tell people to get Sampletank, Kontakt, EWQL Colossus, Titan or Omnisphere for a damn sub bass! At most spend $20, but there's so much out there for free it's a waste to spend $20. It's just a damn subbass.

Back