Best Vst for Sub Bass

GJOrange said:
lol

At which point did it get complicated for you nobelwordz?

Believe me, most producers would agree, there is more steps to making good bass than what synth you use.

Just plug in Subfreak and leave it at that and your bass will be lacking that "pro" quality when you put it next to a professionally mixed track.

To be honest, if you think that the stuff in this thread is complicated then:

1. Prepare for some years of hard learning ahead

or

2. Ask yourself if production is really the game for you.

Try my technique and compare it to using Subfreak and post back with what you find.

Junglist is now Called Hydra. Its pretty cool.

I second the suggestion of Tau Pro too.

But whether it be Junglist/Hydra, Tau or Subfreak, the instrument is just the first part of the process.

What are you talking about?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Suggesting $300+ programs for a sound that can be found on numerous plugs in the $0-$20 price range is kinda extreme isn't it?

Exactly. Heck I've made good bass by just sampling my fingertip touching the ends a 1/4 in. plug, and putting some lowpass, and compression on it.

This is how you give advice guys take notes. I agree you great bass with any plug-in.

I was gonna get a "lil phatty" Moog until i took the time to understand with these plug-in work. instead of messing with presets make your own sounds/bass. i even have a favorite one "subtrator for reason" nothing special, i just like way it looks plus that modding. you can catch using 3xosc anything (which also can be modded so ill too).

and then you tweak the bass to sound fat.

GJOrange said:
You can just use the tone generator in Kontakt to make pure sine waves for sub. I agree that Kontakt is excellent for this.
My other favourite is Novation V-Station which you can pick up for about 30 quid now.
Getting good sub is more down to skill than the equipment used.
I usually layer two bass sounds for it.

In V-Station I like to take a sine or square wave on the first oscillator.
I use the filter to roll off some top.

I then play a really low note and bring up the volume to where I want the sub to be.

Then I use the second oscillator to add in a little bit of triangle wave to add a bit of grit.

After playing in the bass line I bounce it to audio and duplicate it.
Now I have two identicle audio tracks.

On the first I roll off (with eq) everything above 100-150hz.

On the second I roll off everything below 150-200hz.

I mute the first track and just manipulate the second track with effects, just experimenting really. When I like the sound I slowly bring up the first track until the sub is at a good level.

You may have to play around with the EQ roll offs a bit.

Any synth, either free or paid for, that have sines, squares, triangle etc are capable of doing this and sometimes the cheaper sounding ones can be better for this application.

Hope this helps.
The key is to make it sound like it's all one sound.
It leaves you with a nice clear low end with a nice crunchy top.

ok , well i read about 3 pages ....and i will say this ...

getting sub bass , yes , you can make any synth do it , BUT the sound quality of the osc. is what makes a good sub . you see the better the code (of the synth) the better the sound of the synth . ie you can use fl studio drums or you can use p5 audio drums .thye better the sound at the start the better the sound in the end. its the sound that can make a sub clean and deep .

now , as far as me use v-station , kore sound packs (UA1&2) and for a sample sub bass sound plugsound synth , these or my main go to ones .

i do want rob papen SubBoomBass http://www.robpapen.com/subboombass.html

oh yeah , Muon Tau Pro does have rich good clean sound , i remember when i 1st played with it (2003-04) i got a rush from the sound when it hit me in my sub's

Last edited:
By far, SubFreak is the best FREE bass plugin for a thick, effective sub bass. Great for the type and quality of sub bass you hear in joints like "Put On" by Jeezy etc...

Kontakt isnt even a synth its a sampler...it might come with good sub bass samples though...

Edit: I just realised that Kontakt does actually have a tone generator doesnt it? Maybe that what you mean...

realy boooooBass VST effect wwwtikovcom/softrave/bassbooster.htm

Probably Native Instrument's Massive.

I use it all the time for that synthy mainstream feel..it's great.

Back