Auto-Tune T-Pain effect in real time on Pro Tools?

sonik89

I have Antares auto-tune 5 and was wondering if anyone knew how to have the effect actually occur in real time like in the vids on you tube. I know all the settings etc. to make the effect work, but it only works after I have the vocals recorded. I was wondering if anyone knew how to have the effect occur "live" while I'm speaking into the mic instead of hearing it after it's been recorded. I"m using ProTools M-powered (same as LE) btw. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hey man all you should have to do is go to your track view (not edit view) and at the top of each track bar you should see some little notch looking things..thats where you can add real time plug ins..like reverbs , compressors,EQs and in your case Autotune.Try that out and if you need anymore info just ask.i run autotune in Pro Tools pretty often .

lucas.scott said:
Hey man all you should have to do is go to your track view (not edit view) and at the top of each track bar you should see some little notch looking things..thats where you can add real time plug ins..like reverbs , compressors,EQs and in your case Autotune.Try that out and if you need anymore info just ask.i run autotune in Pro Tools pretty often .

So when you do that in Protools, you can hear your autotune effects "live" right away? Basically, I want it so when I or someone else speaks into the mic, they can hear the effect from the speakers right away instead of hearing after it's been recorded.

Yes sir, live as can be. Anything you add up there will be heard as the audio passes through it. you should probly stay away from highlighting the track and proccessing effects that way. its a little too permament.

Not sure about Cubase , but in FL you just have to go to your options and have it search for VST in whatever folder Autotune is installed in.Once you have done that you should be able to find the plugin in your effects window. Say you set your mic at input one..then go to input ones effects and select Autotune.I might have been a little vague...anymore questions just post

If you know what setting to use you can do this in real time too I believe.
That is the important part.
You can do it in non-realtime form first,
Find what proper setting you need,
After you know the setting like what key your singer is singing in,
do it in realtime.

I have a video that may help you learn the in and outs,

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to create a bus track and route the mic thru the bus's input and send the bus out output 5. then the track you are recording to needs to have the input set to the output 5 you set in the bus channel and bus the record track to a verse bus. then put autotune on the original bus you set up and it will record autotune live to the track. you can't change this later though

themanager said:
you need to create a bus track and route the mic thru the bus's input and send the bus out output 5. then the track you are recording to needs to have the input set to the output 5 you set in the bus channel and bus the record track to a verse bus. then put autotune on the original bus you set up and it will record autotune live to the track. you can't change this later though

Man, I'm so confused with this. I'm trying this, but could you please clarify more with this? Do I just create any regular "Audio Track" for the bus track? And to route the mic thru the bus's input, I just select the input tab on the mixer window and select the input my mic is hooked up to right? (in my case, Input 1). And what do you mean by "bus the record track to a verse bus"? I really appreciate your help and hope that when I can get it down, this will solve what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can anyone clarify how to do this on Audition?

Do I need to install a path? Someone mentioned autotune pro?

themanager said:

Man, I'm so confused with this. I'm trying this, but could you please clarify more with this? Do I just create any regular "Audio Track" for the bus track? And to route the mic thru the bus's input, I just select the input tab on the mixer window and select the input my mic is hooked up to right? (in my case, Input 1). And what do you mean by "bus the record track to a verse bus"? I really appreciate your help and hope that when I can get it down, this will solve what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

sonik89 said:

create an aux mono track. This is the track you will put the autotune effect on. On this track's input select your mic(in ur case 1). On the aux track"s output select any available output. Now create a mono audiotrack. On its input select the output of the aux track and set the audiotrack's output to wherever you want to bus it out as. so basically you vox will come in through the aux channel and record autotune on input and then it will go out the aux and into the input of your audiotrack. But remember once it is recorded on the track its there. I use it to fix pitch problems on input. Also If your singer learns how to sing with it(no vibrato) it will become a much tamer beast. hope this helps

themanager said:
create an aux mono track. This is the track you will put the autotune effect on. On this track's input select your mic(in ur case 1). On the aux track"s output select any available output. Now create a mono audiotrack. On its input select the output of the aux track and set the audiotrack's output to wherever you want to bus it out as. so basically you vox will come in through the aux channel and record autotune on input and then it will go out the aux and into the input of your audiotrack. But remember once it is recorded on the track its there. I use it to fix pitch problems on input. Also If your singer learns how to sing with it(no vibrato) it will become a much tamer beast. hope this helps

Ok, I followed these exact steps and I still can't get it to work. There must be a step I'm missing. For the Aux track's output, when you say "select any available output", should I select "Output 1-2, Output 1, Output 2" or any of the available bus channels? The explanation you describe makes sense and it should work, but it doesn't. I'll get to a point where I can get signal to both tracks from the mic, but when I speak into the mic or record on the audio track, I can't hear the effect at all. Actually, when I record to the audio track, at first I can't hear anything at all until I change the output on that track. Sorry to be a pain, but is there something I'm missing?? I really appreciate the feedback you've left so far in trying to help me out manager.

when u use cubase,load the autotune pluging in the insert fx channel in your desired track;say track 1.tweak your desired auto tune setting in the chennel edit/plugin edit. enable the monitor button in the same track and thats it...when u talk or sing the output will already be processed by auto tune...without recording.

when u use cubase,load the autotune pluging in the insert fx channel in your desired track;say track 1.tweak your desired auto tune setting in the chennel edit/plugin edit. enable the monitor button in the same track and thats it...when u talk or sing the output will already be processed by auto tune...without recording.

^ Yes, what he said, also if you have set it up correctly you should still obtain a dry recording rather than a wet recording although you can hear the effect.

So wat kind of hardware are u using? When I follow these steps I hear the auto tune effects, but they are rather late. The manual says its due to latency settings, but settings for my sound driver only goes so low. Is there a better piece of harware that will allow me to hear the effect sooner, perhaps as soon as i speak into the mic?

i use sound blaster,but 4 any sound card try download asio4all sound driver,...(usually comes with fruity loops).the default setting deals with the issue of latency...u should hear ur self at the same time as u sing or talk.

Back