Very Easy Pro Tools install question, quick help please.

Yumid

So I downloaded the installer and everything and am in the Process of unpacking it onto the computer (last step of installing, every things registered and verified with identi and ilok)

Im at the part where it tells me I need to choose between these 2 options

1.)Avid HDX, HD Native, or an non hd hardware

2.)HD TDM (HD Core, HD Accel, HD Process)

Im assuming it is just asking me if I want to download Pro Tools HD or Pro Tools.

Im not sure? I got the student version with PT 10 and 11 bundled.

Running a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15''
Quad Core i7 2.3ghz
16gb Ram

So if it's just a matter of if my system can handle HD or not I think it should be fine. But I don't know which one I am supposed to go for here?

The first option.

Also, the academic license is for is Pro Tools Standard, not Pro Tools HD.

The first option.

Also, the academic license is for is Pro Tools Standard, not Pro Tools HD.
Ok my bad thanks, and just since Id rather know what I'm doing step by step what is the difference? Considering the fact I was wrong.

Ive been doing a little research waiting for an answer and so far It looks like the first one runs plugins off the CPU whereas the second option runs plug ins off an HD card?

in EVERY case does that HD card need to be installed separately? Because my macbook comes with the integrated graphics unlike the cheaper 15'' model. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just figured id ask before I got the download going.

thanks again

You can look up the differences on Avid's site, but basically as of version 11, there are three versions of Pro Tools: HDX, HD Native (which has two connectivity flavors), and Standard. Both HDX and HD Native have separate hardware in the form of cards/interfaces/hardware in various forms. Both HDX and HD Native can run both AAX Native (64-bit) and AAX DSP (64-bit) plugins, the latter of which requires the DSP of the cards/interfaces. Pro Tools Standard can only run AAX Native plugins.

HD TDM is for Pro Tools HD 10, and also requires a card to run. The TDM architecture allowed TDM plugins to run, which again relied on the DSP of the card/associated interfaces and hardware to run them. Pro Tools HD 10 could also run AAX DSP (32-bit) plugins. Both Pro Tools HD 10 and Pro Tools 10 (Standard) can run RTAS and AAX Native (32-bit) plugins, which are both native plugins, meaning that they rely on the host's processing power, the host being your laptop.

HD has nothing to do with graphics. It denotes more features, higher track counts, and hardware acceleration/processing/reliance.

You don't have a license for Pro Tools HD, you have an academic license for Pro Tools Standard, so that's all you need to worry about when installing.

Last edited:
Back