Transition from Cubase back to FL (is it possible?)

Kanarr

I like the workflow a lot better in FL Studio and I use it as a plug-in, or to get ideas before I start spending hours on the Virus programming sounds on the Virus.. but would FL Studio support all of the various plug-ins that I have like packages from SoundLabs and Flux. Also, I've tried routing my Access Virus to FL studio once and I coudln't get it to work.. with all of this extra stuff is the transition back to Frooty Loops even possible? I'd use Logic, I have it, but I hate macs and I don't want all of this gear plugged into a tiny laptop.

Why did you start using Cubase in the first place?

FL will support most or (probably) all of your VSTs. The reason why I say "most" is that I haven't used it in a long time and don't know whether they added VST3 support.

Can't think of a reason why your Virus wouldn't work. It's a Virus TI, right?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Why would you go from Cubase to FL Studio unless you're trying to be something/someone you're not? Cubase is a much more mature and professional package. Now people on this forum will tell you otherwise, don't listen to them. Especially the clown above ^^^.

Crappy hip hop producers that are here today and gone tomorrow use FL Studio. Notice the ones that are still around have switched to Ableton or something else (9th Wonder, Lex Luger). The ones that stick with it will not be remembered in 25 years.

When the next blockbuster movie's soundtrack is done it FL Studio I might change my mind. Until then, it's for making shitty trap beats in your bedroom.

Why would you go from Cubase to FL Studio unless you're trying to be something/someone you're not? Cubase is a much more mature and professional package. Now people on this forum will tell you otherwise, don't listen to them. Especially the clown above ^^^.

Crappy hip hop producers that are here today and gone tomorrow use FL Studio. Notice the ones that are still around have switched to Ableton or something else (9th Wonder, Lex Luger). The ones that stick with it will not be remembered in 25 years.

When the next blockbuster movie's soundtrack is done it FL Studio I might change my mind. Until then, it's for making shitty trap beats in your bedroom.

^^^ Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A quick excerpt from the page so you can understand the pattern without reading the whole thing:

"The Fox and the Grapes"
A classic illustration of cognitive dissonance is expressed in the fable "The Fox and the Grapes" by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he decides that the grapes are probably not worth eating, with the justification the grapes probably are not ripe or that they are sour (hence the common phrase "sour grapes"). This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation".[19]

Macbeat uses a Mac (who woulda guessed?) and has an incentive to convince himself not to like FL Studio -- there's no native Mac version of FL Studio. Just a crossover-wrapper.

When you click his profile and click the "View Posts..." button, you'll see that just about 60-70% of his posts are bashing FL Studio. Another 20% aren't directly related to music (Trayvon Martin thread, etc.). Maybe around 10% are other music-related posts. He attempts to steer every thread off-topic, replying to "How Do I Do 'Procedure X' in FL Studio" with witty replies along the lines of "Uninstall FL Studio" or "Graduate from Preschool".

I imagine he's going to disagree and say something about "pseudo-intellectualism", maybe he'll attack the credibility of Wikipedia, or maybe he'll attack my credibility as a producer.
Check the link in my signature -- you can hear some of my beats, along with some examples of mixing and/or mastering I've worked on for other artists. Where's your music, macbeat? What's so credible about your perspective?

Why would you go from Cubase to FL Studio unless you're trying to be something/someone you're not? Cubase is a much more mature and professional package.

Yeah, Cubase has been around longer than any of the other DAWs - Even longer than Pro Tools by about a year or two! I actually used Cubase for a few years myself before switching to REAPER. My biggest complaint with Cubase is actually a problem I have with FL as well: It simply crashes too much (especially if you bridge 32-bit plugins)! The last version of Cubase I used was 6, so if 7 is more stable, I don't know anything about it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
^^^ Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A quick excerpt from the page so you can understand the pattern without reading the whole thing:

"The Fox and the Grapes"
A classic illustration of cognitive dissonance is expressed in the fable "The Fox and the Grapes" by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he decides that the grapes are probably not worth eating, with the justification the grapes probably are not ripe or that they are sour (hence the common phrase "sour grapes"). This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation".[19]

Macbeat uses a Mac (who woulda guessed?) and has an incentive to convince himself not to like FL Studio -- there's no native Mac version of FL Studio. Just a crossover-wrapper.

When you click his profile and click the "View Posts..." button, you'll see that just about 60-70% of his posts are bashing FL Studio. Another 20% aren't directly related to music (Trayvon Martin thread, etc.). Maybe around 10% are other music-related posts. He attempts to steer every thread off-topic, replying to "How Do I Do 'Procedure X' in FL Studio" with witty replies along the lines of "Uninstall FL Studio" or "Graduate from Preschool".

I imagine he's going to disagree and say something about "pseudo-intellectualism", maybe he'll attack the credibility of Wikipedia, or maybe he'll attack my credibility as a producer.
Check the link in my signature -- you can hear some of my beats, along with some examples of mixing and/or mastering I've worked on for other artists. Where's your music, macbeat? What's so credible about your perspective?

Yeah, Cubase has been around longer than any of the other DAWs - Even longer than Pro Tools by about a year or two! I actually used Cubase for a few years myself before switching to REAPER. My biggest complaint with Cubase is actually a problem I have with FL as well: It simply crashes too much (especially if you bridge 32-bit plugins)! The last version of Cubase I used was 6, so if 7 is more stable, I don't know anything about it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You bore me with your pseudo intellectual comebacks. Why do you get butt-hurt every time someone talks about FL Studio? No one who is someone uses FL Studio. Maybe some of the corny producers you love who are responsible for blessing the world with their mediocrity and who'll be gone tomorrow uses it.

Cubase 7 is the shit. Hands down the best there is right now. And steinberg released Halion 5 not too long ago that eats up all the other samplers around, including Kontakt.

BTW, I just happened to click on your link. Where the **** do you come off charging $25 for those god aweful beats. They sound like there were made on pirated software in someone's basement.

Last edited:
You bore me with your pseudo intellectual comebacks. Why do you get butt-hurt every time someone talks about FL Studio? No one who is someone uses FL Studio. Maybe some of the corny producers you love who are responsible for blessing the world with their mediocrity and who'll be gone tomorrow uses it.

Cubase 7 is the shit. Hands down the best there is right now. And steinberg released Halion 5 not too long ago that eats up all the other samplers around, including Kontakt.

BTW, I just happened to click on your link. Where the **** do you come off charging $25 for those god aweful beats. They sound like there were made on pirated software in someone's basement.

Predictable response, almost down to the letter.

Your support of Cubase was a bit of a surprise, though. You don't use Cubase on Mac OS, do you? I thought every Mac producer knew that Cubase works much better on Windows. IIRC, It's coded natively for Windows, and then ported to Mac OS.

Scroll down to "Round Two":
http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm
At higher buffer settings, they're almost identical, but the Windows version pulls ahead significantly once the buffer settings get tighter.

I remember reading lots of threads on Steinberg's forums with Mac users complaining about their "third-class-citizen" status.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:

Your support of Cubase was a bit of a surprise, though. You don't use Cubase on Mac OS, do you? I thought every Mac producer knew that Cubase works much better on Windows. IIRC, It's coded natively for Windows, and then ported to Mac OS.

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
At higher buffer settings, they're almost identical, but the Windows version pulls ahead significantly once the buffer settings get tighter.

I remember reading lots of threads on Steinberg's forums with Mac users complaining about their "third-class-citizen" status.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Don't listen to this clown. This dude sits in his momma's bedroom making wack beats on pirated software, yet he thinks he knows something.

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking

-Ki
Salem Beats

The Mac halo effect is based on the fact that Mac Pro tower systems are pared with expensive Pro Tools hardware that is designed to take the processing load off the computer, but when it comes to native processing Macs tend to fall short in comparison to cheap ugly Windows machines and I don't think the poor performance is due to porting software over to the Mac otherwise Apple wouldn't need to use hidden playback buffers to make Logic look good, I think OSX is simply bloated with glossy crap I couldn't give two shits about once my DAW is open.

Anyway, in regard to Cubase Vs FL Studio, just use whatever you like, ReWire the two if it makes you happy....but keep in mind that to benefit from sophisticated programs such as Cubase you really have to learn how to use them efficiently as opposed to comparing them to software that is laid out with the immediate simplicity of a Fisher-Price toy.

I have used this analogy a few times on here.....Walking down to the corner store might require less effort than assembling a bicycle, but once you have assembled your bicycle you can get to where you want to go faster and with less effort than walking.

Some people don't bother to learn shit, like if you put some Toucan Sam on an MPC they will hate it because they are used to just selecting shit that is right in front of them and they will try to do everything on an MPC with the jog wheel until they give up, but if you look at the MPC of a cat who took the time to learn it, you will see that the number buttons are all worn out because dude made the effort to learn how to navigate using page numbers.......same shit with software, if you don't know your shortcut keys you are going to struggle more than someone who does, especially when using a program like Cubase.

if you don't know your shortcut keys you are going to struggle more than someone who does, especially when using a program like Cubase.

^^^ This x1000 for REAPER. Lol.

In REAPER and Cubase, you can flip everything around and CREATE your OWN shortcut key system, though.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Everyone's different, do what you're most comfortable with. Don't get an inferiority complex based off others who already more than likely have one of their own.

It's just music, not rocket science. Hits have been recorded on everything under the sun.

:cheers:

Don't get an inferiority complex based off others who already more than likely have one of their own.

And don't suffer from sour grapes if, on your platform, the native DAW is unavailable (i.e., FL Studio on Mac, Logic on PC) or under-performs (i.e., Cubase on Mac).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Sorry for my delay in replying, I've been sick for the last week or so. I guess my thought for the transition was because it's easier for me to come up with ideas in FL than it is Cubase, maybe it' the layout or the skin or something heh. After spending a bit of time back in FL studio I decided to just use it for initial ideas to then transfer over into Cubase.. or it could just be making that 'Fruity Dance' avitar get funky lol. My brief delving had me come up with this track https://soundcloud.com/djkanarr/fourhoursinflstudio which was purely to practice structure and practice with the simple mixers FL has to try and better understand the ones I'm using within Cubase.

^^^Why even transfer initial ideas to Cubase? If you work comfortable in FL, I'd just use FL. Especially if there's nothing Cubase adds to your workflow.

Last edited:
Back