Thor vs. Massive

austinerary

Hey guys. Im really stuck between using pro tools and reason. If you want you can put your input on which one i should use. Personally, the workflow of reason is much easier for me. But pro tools allows me to use my maschine and my massive plugins. I am able to use all my maschine drum samples in reason so thats no biggie but im torn for a synth. Thor is good, but sometimes it just doesnt do it for me. Massive however always kindof fits. What do you guys think? Do I need to learn more about synthesis. Would you guys suggest any of the other rack extension synths that match massives huge sound?

Learn more about synthesis yeah. Also, if you haven't already, learn how to work with Reason with regards to mixing, mastering, using the SSL like console, eq'ing, layering, processing, learn how to use the filters out of the effects folder, etc.
Do you have the latest Reason version?
Check out the vids on reason at:
Artist Features - YouTube
Go through them, practice them, rebuild the stuff they build, try to incorporate it in your own tracks and practice. Apply yourself, find a right balance between teaching yourself the theory and practicing.
Reason has very powerful synths and with the use of combinators and the SSL like console, it has a power that isn't met by other DAWs.

Thank you! I have reason version 6.5. Do you know of any line of tutorials that will help me with all the things you mentioned above? The artist videos were sweet btw.

Yeah, definitely

Propellerhead Software - YouTube

I don't know how far you are but from the beginning, start with:

- Tutorials basic
- 52 reason/record tips
Then if you have done those two, you can go on any other section. Most stuff to learn in reason sound design, music making month and tutorials deep.

Now remember not to simply watch them, rebuild them and practice with incorporating the techniques in your own songs, or from scratch.

Thor is good, but sometimes it just doesnt do it for me. Massive however always kindof fits. What do you guys think? Do I need to learn more about synthesis. Would you guys suggest any of the other rack extension synths that match massives huge sound?

Trust me here, with enough practice and knowledge of the VST's in Reason you can achieve ANY, and I mean ANY synth you can possibly think of. Thor just has so many combinations of programming that it's impossible to run out of synth's. Especially with the Scream 4 distortion rack? You could do so much damage to it with it's built in compressors and 3 band EQ. You could even wire multiple instances of THOR along with Malstrom and Subtractor with the Spider Audio Splitter and Merger to create HUGE synth's that could be panned to L or R w/ whatever you need. Ever heard of Dorincourt (aka - ODSTHellJumper) on YouTube? He has tons of tutorials on making synth's, basses, drums, anything stringed into electronic music as well as sub genre's in Reason 5 / 6. Give him a view or two, it'll benefit you.

they are about the same to me. been using Reason since 2.0 now im at 6.5. just got Massive couple weeks ago with Ableton and a lot of the sounds(stock patches i browsed) can be replicated on Thor. Cool thing is that you can run many instances of Thor and pretty much every device except some rack extensions and it won't hog up the CPU. IMO ill go with Thor but thats just cause i know more about it than Massive.

Back