Is there a Plug-In for this?

lilfranch

I went to a studio a while back (before I started getting into producing) and the producer left my vocals dry. He didn't have me double up, he didn't add any effects, the tracks were left plain and boring.. The tough part trying to fix it is that it's already mastered, but I've been messing with them. I'm using a high pass filter, a valve emulation, a tape emulation, a high shelving filter, a bass enhancer, a compressor, a stereo widener, a multiband compressor,a soft clipper, and a multiband brickwall limiter.. It's a lot louder (which it desperately needed) and it has a more thick/wider sound (which sounds nice) but it still doesn't have that "full" sound that it would if I doubled up when I recorded. Is there a plug in that will help my tracks sound more "full"?
Even if there isn't any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you have the vocal tracks separate? Or do you only have the finished stereo mix on a wav/mp3?
You post seems a tad crashed too :)

Should be fixed now, for some reason it was only showing up if highlighted.. But back to topic. I only have the finished mp3 on disc and the studio has closed down since then so i have no way to get any of the original tracks (it was a couple years ago)

without the original vocal stems (recordings) creating what you want is nigh on impossible.

you may need to consider something as drastic as recording a new set of vocals and then mixing those in with the original recording

this is a drastic measure, as you are using mp3 sources instead of wav files as your stereo master,

you will need to record your vox as close to the original as possible,

then add an fx chain to implement the sound you are after

some of the sound will happen automatically as a result of the imperfection between any two takes of the same material.

On top of this you are then trying to get it to sit in the mix that already exists, a tough, but not impossible assignment.

let us know how it goes if you decide to do it......

I've actually tried recording and mixing it in, but I'm getting too much bleed through on my tracks for some reason, that's why I was just trying to fix it up some with plug-ins.

Why not remake the track from scratch? You'll get far better results. Also you can use your knowledge of what you don't want it to be like, to make it better. Sometimes (always) you have to get to the end, and get everything wrong and start again just so you know what to do.

If that fails, try the demo of KushAudio's Claraphonic DSP. Clariphonic DSP

"your choice of 6 unusual and carefully selected corner frequencies"

What's an unusual corner frequency?

"high frequency equalization that is at once holographic, transparent, and virtually phaseless"

Phaseless? Holographic??

"remarkably creative, forward-thinking equalizer"

Forward-thinking???

Dude they aren't joking. My friend has the actual hardware unit (paid $1700), and it is amazing. Its 4 knobs really do multiple things inside the unit which create that 3 dimensional fatness. The software should come close to that. Try the demo, it won't cost ya if you already have an iLok.

Last edited:
sounds like a con, based on the language used. Although if we strip out the hyperbole and get to the guts of it, it is essentially a high end aural exciter, it's deliberately adding 2nd harmonic distortion in a multi-band eq approach, with a parallel channel for the unaffected band which is mixed back in at the end.

All of this is easy enough to emulate with existing plugins - no need to buy something new. The thought that you need to process at 39kHz is amusing, as it suggests that they are deliberately adding fold-over distortion as well (it comes out at about 5kHz more or less, assuming 44.1kHz sampling rate)

The hardware Clariphonic gets very good reviews. It's not clear how the software one relates to that. If the software version is a proper analogue model of the hardware one (I would be wary of so called analogue models unless its coming from a team with proven experience of analogue modeling) then maybe is a good vst. If on the other hand it is just a black box with some standard software EQ modules that just mimic the settings and signal path of the hardware... then you have to wonder if it's of any use given that much of the hardware model's characteristics may well come from it being analogue.

Maybe in the analogue domain a 39kHz filter has some effect that it doesn't in the digital domain. But if that is the case then you need some very good analogue modeling to replicate that. A simple digital EQ at 39k probably wont achieve the same results. Or maybe the unit does some stuff that is just there to give the impression that it's doing something magical an cutting edge. Who knows? i think that good thing about vintage analogue gear is that it's tried and tested. I'm not sure this is.

The designer of the hardware Claraphonic intentionally avoided numeric quantities in order to force the user to use their ears. Maybe the hyperbole is just a kind of offshoot of that. Though I'm not sure what sound being more holographic could really mean.

Well the hardware sounded "holographic" to me. When the engineer turned the knobs, it felt like my hears were suddenly opening up. The software has a trial demo, the OP should try it. I haven't yet because I'm waiting for the moment to use that trial very wisely :cool:.

Sorry for the late response but between work and.. well work, I feel like I barely have time to breath right now... Anyway, I tried using headphones to listen to the original while recording the vocal again and it wouldn't sit in the mix well at all.. I wouldn't mind recording the tracks from scratch, except for some reason I'm getting way too much bleed through to save the tracks. I'm gonna try that Clariphonic DSP demo and see how good that well work for me, my only issue is ilok. I had to uninstall PT10 cause iLok kept giving me an authorization error. Maybe it'll be different with a plug in though? Imma be in the studio for a few hours messing around tonight, I'll let y'all know how it turns out. And thank you everyone for the ideas!!

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

It's not even letting me use it (another iLok problem) it's saying "This version of Clariphonic DSP requires authorization to run, but no iLok can be found. Please install the iLok for this software."... But I have the iLok drivers installed :hmmm:

Back