Them drums??

OrhanGizzle

Yo fellew producers!

I know that Q's about drum packs been up alot of times. But I'm really not able to find drums that I really like. I have alot of classic drums breaks, some 'famous' producer kits, and I've also been through the goldbaby sounds, without really getting what I want.

I'm looking for some crispy snares like in the following tracks, just to give an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRfQGXFRr30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yGG8jMSTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmC2igVQdxc

I know, I'm really into Pro Eras sound at the moment.

I think you get the idea of which sound I'm looking for. Any input would be much appreciated. I'd be glad to invest in some drumkits if I could get some real quality sounds instead of a lot of quantative sounds.

Peace

These will be in your regular sample packs... but the key is in mixing them.
Kind of hard to give unspecific pointers as it really depends on your track. In general though, don't focus on your snares until way late in the process. Use a placeholder or something that's nice enough while you're working on building out the track. Else you kind of spend the whole time mixing around your snare and that sucks big time. The snare is only a counter point to the kick and bass so work on those first.

As a sound, most snares consists of nothing but the impact (stick hitting the drum) and reverberation (inside the drum barrel and outside, in the room). The reverb makes the body of the sound. The dry impact basically sounds like static (great start point to build your own snares). You could make your own snares using some glitch samples, a compressor-gate and reverb. Add reverb, compress, cut the tail and repeat until happy.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask specific questions!

Find a drum break, chop it up take the low end out around 100 should be fine add a little distortion and find another drum break with hihats layer the hihat on top of the snare

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't agree that I can find those sounds in drumpacks really as they are, without some processing. Yeah I also just take some okay snare while fitting the samples, and then I find the correct snare as the last thing. But for me really the snare is the most important in a fat sampled beat. Sorry but localspace what do you mean that the dry impact sounds static? And glitch samples? I'm familiar with compressing and cutting the tail, that gives the drum more punch right? Not so fond of reverb though. How about pitching drums do you work with that? Or just choose a snare that you find in pitch with sample from the beginning?

Anyways I actually found a VST that takes me much closer to my desired sound.

Check out dope vsts beatmachine demo here, I really dig it:

BEAT MACHINE 1.1 – Hip Hop // Drums | DopeVST VSTi VST AU Hip Hop Beatmaking Production Software

Hehe HalfBlack, I guess you consider that kind of cheating. But there is nothing more unmotivating than not knowing how to get that exact sound you one. So I think I'm gonna cheat, until I have the skills to make drums like that from breaks myself. :)

Back