sound cuts off?

DiscoPharmacy

Hi. i got a new laptop (Acer aspire 8930) and im having som trouble whit the sound. When ever i use ableton or FL studio the sound often just cuts off completely and after a couple a seconds the sound comes back. sometimes it doesn't cut off, but mostly it does. I tried to change the audio buffer and still nothing has changed, but the wierd thing is everytime im on skype talking with someone, the sound doesn't cut off at all. has anyone else had the same problem? i really need fix this

a more complete description

computer os
cpu
speed
ram onboard
built-in soundcard or external soundcard
what is your audio driver software? do you use asio4all or some other software driver for your audio card?

i use a CL1 steinberg USB audio interface. It just makes one loude click and the sounds completely gone for 5-10 seconds and the sound comes back, and it happens over and over again. But when im on skype in a call, i have no problem with the sound when im using a DAW, so basically i can only produce if im in a call.

Last edited:
a more complete description

computer os
cpu
speed
ram onboard
built-in soundcard or external soundcard
what is your audio driver software? do you use asio4all or some other software driver for your audio card?

RAM: 6 GB
System: 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
soundcard: CL1 Yamaha steinberg USB audio interface

Last edited:
so, my next questions is what audio plugins are you using for processing and are they free (demo mode) or paid for/free without limitation

I am pretty certain at this point that if you remove some of your "Free" demo mode plugins the problem will disappear

so, my next questions is what audio plugins are you using for processing and are they free (demo mode) or paid for/free without limitation

I am pretty certain at this point that if you remove some of your "Free" demo mode plugins the problem will disappear

Well, the first thing i've installed on my laptop was ableton live, without any plugins installed and from first time i opend it it started doing it.

are you sure that nothing else has been added during that install - what is on the output channels?

Last edited:
Yes im sure. I remember it didn't happen when i used the soundcard that's in my laptop. I think it has something to do with my USB interface.

so what drivers are you using for the steinberg when you load ableton? what does ableton tell you about the audio interface and the format it is using???

so what drivers are you using for the steinberg when you load ableton? what does ableton tell you about the audio interface and the format it is using???

Driver type is on ASIO and audio device is on Yamaha steinberg USB ASIO. Sample rate is at 48KHz and audio buffer is at 48KHz. But i've already tried changing and messing around with it and still nothing has changed. Could you have any idea why it doesn't cut off when im in a call on skype? maybe i could install something that does the same thing.

asio driver but who created/wrote/programmed that driver - i.e. is it the standard win driver or is it the driver required by steinberg (on my machine I have three different audio drivers available but only one for my sound card, so you can guess which one I have activated.....)

asio driver but who created/wrote/programmed that driver - i.e. is it the standard win driver or is it the driver required by steinberg (on my machine I have three different audio drivers available but only one for my sound card, so you can guess which one I have activated.....)

When i go under Driver type i can choose between ASIO and MME/DirectX. The MME/directX seems to work a bit better but the sound still cuts off.

I know this seems a pain but long distance trouble shooting is always a case of 20 questions

Now, do me a favour and reinstall the drivers for the stienberg that came with it.then look for any updates for those drivers at the steinberg site

try again and then let us know where you stand

Back