Some FL Studio questions...

S

Sylenth89

Hey there, I have a few questions about FL Studio...

1. Why is it considered as beginners DAW? Often considered less professional than Logic, Ableton, Cubase...?
2. Can orchestral and cinematic music be composed in FL Studio?
3. Which tutorials are best to learn from for FL Studio? I know there are a lot of them and I just got lost, so if you can tell me what got you up and running with FL Studio it would be greatly appreciated.
4. Soon FL 12 will be released which brings many changes in whole software. Should I wait for tuts specially designed for FL 12, or can I learn from older tutorials? I've downloaded beta and it really is drastically different.

So guys, thank you very much in advance for answers! Enjoy rest of your day :)

Hey there, I have a few questions about FL Studio...

1. Why is it considered as beginners DAW? Often considered less professional than Logic, Ableton, Cubase...?
2. Can orchestral and cinematic music be composed in FL Studio?
3. Which tutorials are best to learn from for FL Studio? I know there are a lot of them and I just got lost, so if you can tell me what got you up and running with FL Studio it would be greatly appreciated.
4. Soon FL 12 will be released which brings many changes in whole software. Should I wait for tuts specially designed for FL 12, or can I learn from older tutorials? I've downloaded beta and it really is drastically different.

So guys, thank you very much in advance for answers! Enjoy rest of your day :)

1. It's not a beginners DAW. It's capable of a lot, excellent DAW. It gets that reputation because it's heavily pirated by people who may not be fully commited to music.

2. Yes, I don't do it personally but I don't see why not. Cubase and Logic are the ones that are known for that though.

As far as tutorials, I don't have the one I used anymore but hit up youtube. Genre specific tutorials tend to be worthless (TRAP BEAT IN 20 MINUTES! type stuff) so look for tutorials on the functions of fl studio.

dont wait to learn techniques. you should research techniques and learn the "fundamentals" behind them, not just seek the results, but understand the process. then it will open up your world to viewing information from any and all daw work videos.

3. Depends on what tutorials you're looking for.
If it's a tutorial on how to do something in the DAW - no problem.
If it's a clip about how to make a certain kind of music in FL - still no problem, but these tutorials tend to be very Newbie (with a capital "N")
If it's a clip on how to mix/master in FL - WOAH! You're out on deep water now! (with some exceptions of course). Just imo.
If it's a clip on sounddesign in FL - no problem, actually one of the best series of tutorials I've ever encountered on YouTube covering sounddesign is on FL.

4. Don't see anything wrong with giving it a try, depends on what you're seeking info on, so just use common sense wether you think it will be info applicable yo FL 12 or not.

FL used to have a childish look and looked a bit toyish, its changed a lot since then but the reputuation stuck with people who dont use it.

any music can be made with any daw as long as you have the proper samples and plugins

start with the official FL videos to learn about the features then look up youtube for specific techniques

you can use older tutorials for a lot of things but some new features that may be released in 12 wont be covered until then.

1) It certainly isn't anymore. I guess it was the whole Fruity Loops name from the past that didn't really help its perception.

4) You'll be fine using tuts for either FL 11 or FL 12. Both are fairly similar in function, the visuals are probably the biggest change. For the most part, if you can do something in FL 11, you can probably figure it out in FL 12 without much problem.

The only major difference between versions that I've seen in recent history of fl studio was between the FL9 and fl10, with the apparent change on the pattern placement. Still, you can activate this function in the preferences menu.

So, basically you won't have any problems by using Fl 11 and then getting the upgrade when it's released. I started when Fl was in it's 10 version, and didn't feel any significant or impairing difference to 11 version.

Check out seamless on youtube, he has lots of vids on advanced tweaking to in-depth basic stuff. There's lots of people on twitch/music that showcase their mixes and stuff

Back