Software VS Equipment

GoldTune

Hello Guys. I'm new to music making and basically that's why I'm here, to know and get your opinions.
I'm planning to make my own music (beats, dubsteps) and what do you think is better for me? The use of software/DAW or an equipment like MPC and etc.
Thanks a lot

Mix and match, that's what most people do. Software is often more flexible, but lacks the tactility and immediacy of dedicated hardware, so there's no simple way to recommend just using either for anyone.

Well This is in my opinion
Software is cheap, and portable (You can have it in your laptop), music are easy to edit and resources are everywhere online. Software are always updated and does not require a lot of space.
On the other hand Equipments like MPC keyboard are expensive, it consumes a lot of space, you can't just keep it inside your bag, and sometimes when you transfer music, the music quality is not exactly the same of what you hear originally from the equipment.

Of course both software have advantages and disadvantages but I think the use of software is much better for starters since training video and tutorials are available online.

I think the use of software is much better for starters since training video and tutorials are available online.

That also, but mainly because 1) the initial investment for an all-around setup is lower (although one needs to factor in the cost of the computer, the audio interface & whatnot - but you'll probably need a computer in either way of working, so it's a bit of a moot point) and more importantly 2) you don't have to commit to a certain workflow without knowing what you're getting into.

That said, it still comes down to preference. I've started on 4-track cassette recorders and moved to all-software when it became possible, and now I'm slowly slipping back to a more hardware setup...but it's taken all this time (well, it's never been full time to me anyway) to work out what works best for me. So in the end you'll just need to find a setup that inspires you, whatever it may be.

software is more flexible for you! I think you can use software for a while until you're pro at some basic steps, you can start with the best equipment!

Definitely software for a beginner.
Get the basic understanding and it won't be too heavy on your pockets.
When you're ready to make the move,then do the research and see what type of hardware suits
your needs.Too many people are rushing out to get hardware with no basic understanding,and a few
weeks later,they're selling it.Which is not bad for those of us with gear lust but isn't ideal for the
original purchaser.

Peace

Last edited:
Before you run out and buy software you should look to see what controllers come with bundled software and what the upgrade path is like as this has the potential to save you a few bucks, I would recommend starting out with a decent DAW first and then branch out from there as you will soon get an idea of what your needs are.

I say both ... because both hardware and software have their stengths/weaknesses. I personally began with using hardware but eventually found (and grew to love) the convenience of using software. But then later I discovered how a combination of the two could give me so many more avenues to take in music production (like, for instance, Ableton Live + Roland SP-303). Keep in mind that this is my own opinion, and your workflow could be much different from mine. What works for me might not work for you, so just experiment and you'll find your niche.

I would suggest software for you to start. You mentioned Dubstep and the automation and flexibility to make something relatively easy for a novice would be with a Decent DAW like Ableton and a few soft synths like Massive, Sylenth to get you going before jumping into lots of hardware.. Good luck.. :)

Back