reorganizing or reinterpreting a sequence of midi notes

hectoeh

Hello, I have been looking everywhere for a program, software, plugin or machine that can take a bunch of already played in a song midi events and reinterpret, reorganize or shuffle those same events around in either the same key or different key.

What I am trying to do hopefully more specifically is take an existing melody I have played on my midi keyboard and then with a click of a button/mouse have those same notes scrambled up into a different melody.
Does this exist and if so what is it so I can quickly purchase it?! Thank you very much! Tim

I'm fairly sure this doesn't exist. You can't really make good melodies just by randomizing old ones.

Best thing you can do is work out what key you're in, force notes to be part of an appropriate scale for that key and then just drag notes about randomly.

conceptually what you are asking is not difficult to implement - I can do it in javascript in about a day to have a working prototype without any nice graphics on the front end to make it look like it is the real deal that will even generate a new mid file for each variation

the reality check for you is exactly as scrapheaper has advised you - the results will mostly be mundane if not completely useless.

You are seeking a melodic pattern variation creation tool which is useful insofar as that it removes the grunt work from the task

i.e.
you can cycle through
  • each starting note in your active scale and generate the same pattern for each
  • the melody by shifting the tones 1 to the left or 1 to the right (they will converge eventually)
  • tone and rhythmic units together the same way as above
  • just the rhythmic units as described above for every variation created so far
in addition you can generate
  • the inversion of the original melody as well as any subsequent variation created above
  • the retrograde of the original melody and any other variation created above (including retrograde inversion)

Unless you are dealing with small melodic lengths (a few bars (2-4) at most), this becomes a prohibitively long calculation set if you attempt to generate every possible permutation

these sorts of operations on a melodic structure are nothing new to composers of atonal and serial music, so you may well find that the academic community of composers have already developed this tool

Back