Recording Live Shows in Pro Tools ???

J

JayRaz

I got asked to record a live poetry slam. I mainly record studio music and I have never attempted to record a live show with my personal set-up. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro with a 250GB SSD and an extra Internal 1TB HD. I use an Apogee Quartette for my mic pres. I have 4 inputs with the Quartette. I only want to use 3 of them. 1 to record the Artist and 2 to record the audience.

Can anyone give me some advice so I don't screw this up? Should I use a plug-in while recording? Example: should I put a compressor on the two room mics to control the crowds levels (as they will change)?

And anything else you feel may help me. Thank you so much. I have a month to get ready for this!

if your mics are directional then you shouldn't have an issue overall - I would also use a lower gain level on the room mics simply to avoid issues with unexpected sudden nosies from the audience - but a compressor that has high threshold and soft knee and moderate ratio could help tame the truly unexpected sudden sounds

Back