Reason Vs. Other DAW...Thoughts?

no

you would use rewire to allow another daw to access all of the sounds found in reason, on individual tracks, whilst allowing you to use that daw for additional tracking, processing, etc

it is not so big a deal today as it was before the advent of Record and then the integration of Record into Reason 6

personally I would probably still use it if i also wanted to include scored midi sections using any external libraries that are not present as RE's, otherwise I might score in cubase and then dump the midi file and load that into reason to trigger RE's or other modules

I love reason OK you don't have VST but you can learn to make the sounds you like rather than buy a VST and reason has some good rack extensions

reason has vst support but virtual audio cable drivers vbaudio necessary for that. You can learn to make the sounds you lik'e in any synth since they all have similar controls if they aren't synplant or cyclops.

I am quite fond of reason but then again I use 2 daws lol.

You can get awesome results with every daw.

Logic is not that expensive but has a lot of good samples etc. with it!
FL studio has a different workflow - but still good! If you google some producers they all work with different stuff - just try some or watch some tutorials & decide on which workflow's best for you

So no-one has responded to my previous post. If the factory sounds in Reason are what some people say gives Reason a certain lacking sound, how would knowing synthesis enable you to do anything better (as the designers who made those factory presets would've obviously known synthesis as well)?

Also, has anyone noticed - on Thor - that sometimes if you play say octave 4 or higher, that the sound sounds thin? Even when playing a chord. I am listening through 20/20 headphones btw too. I think if memory serves me correct, it only happens with the Wavetable and the FM Pair oscillators, the others are ok. It's the only way I can think of to describe it, 'thin' sounding, as in not thick, fat and big and a bit thin or only covering a narrow frequency range perhaps.

Last edited:
the discussion about DAW is often the same.. I mean you just have to watch some producers on youtube, they are all using different DAWs (for example stromae uses reason, swedish house mafia used logic, guetta use ableton AND protools.. skrillex uses ableton) - and see.. they all have success and make great music. its only up to you which DAW interface and workflow you do prefer!

Considering I don't really care much about using plug-ins Reason is great and I love the how you can flip the rack around and custom wire the different components together. I've tried Pro Tools and Sonar and even trying to get those programs to work was a total pain in the ass and it seemed too much like an Adobe program. Reason looks just like the music equipment you'd using if you weren't using a digital music rack which makes it a lot easier for me to visually keep track of everything. I will say though that I'm not a fan of equalizing and mixing so much in Reason, I usually export each instrument individually and load them all together into Adobe Audition to mess with more advanced compression, equalization, and mixing

Preset sounds are always going to be too 'crisp', 'exciting', 'upfront', or otherwise because they are meant to be attention-grabbing on their own, not within the context of a mix, for the requirements are always based on the song, beat, soundtrack you are making. Echoing the sentiment of many on here, I would work to learn the basic tenets of sound design and mixing so that you can take sounds/presets that are not necessarily what towards something more organic for your mix.

Also, Reason is amazing, especially the later versions 8 & 9. I would actually argue that recorded, playback, and rendered sound is actually higher quality than ableton live, and this is coming from a 6 year Live user. Ableton's primary draws are in terms of workflow, creative arranging (session view), sample manipulation, and live performance of electronic music. Its drawbacks are in its sound engine (quality, lack of formats), professional audio (file interchange between major daws), and modularity (specifically for me because of the fixed routing between tracks and mixer channels, a feature that is controllable in most daws)

All in my humble opinion, hope some of this is helpful. good luck on your search, and remember, you don't have to 'choose' a daw, its just a tool and a means to an end. whatever makes the translation between creativity and reality as transparent as possible benefits you, no matter what anyone says

Logic Pro has always been my go to, well "Logic" in general. I have known producers would do incredible things with Reason, then the same batch do amazing things with freeware.

Back