Reason vs. FL Studio? What Sounds Better?

D

DeviozBeats

I'm still trying to figure which is better. Some say Reason sounds to robotic but yet the sounds in Reason sound bigger than FL studio.

Is Reason better and how can I get FL studio to make it sound just as good?

No daw sounds robotic, universal mechanic [quantize] is a snapper setting, en no sem.
No, reason is not better. [I use s1/reason] flstudio can make all the same exact sounds if this is what you mean. This is most likely a mixing issue.

The design is different though. Reason has the rack, fl has the patcher and studio one has the Multi.
Fl studio even has one of them [build your own synth] synths in it. Sound quality myth is myth.

Thanks. So why does FL Studio sound so flat to me compared to Reason? I'm trying to create 90's style rap beats.

Thanks. So why does FL Studio sound so flat to me compared to Reason? I'm trying to create 90's style rap beats.

What do you mean by "flat"? Are you using the same sounds/VSTs in both daws? Lots of the hits you hear on the radio were made in FL Studio. There is no difference in sound between daws. Maybe some of the built in stock plugins for each daw have there advantages over each other but that has nothing to do with the daw it is being hosted in.

i'm using hypersonic and even hypersonic seems like its not sounding as good as some of the free reason refills online

Just use whatever your comfortable with. Both have thousands of users and how it sounds is not a problem for anyone who makes music consistantly or reached any kind of success. It's you as the creator to add your touch on how its mixed to your taste. If you really think there is a problem learn to compensate where it lacks or pull back what it gives you too much of.

I haven't used reason since 6 but if anything make sure your not using modled emulation stuff that's supposed to shape the sound already before anything goes in. I think developers are on top to give you a product that doesn't give you inaccurate or crap sound. Why would they not want to try to have something up to par that gets them paid? Just make music and work to get it to sound how you want it to sound.

Holy crap I didn't even mention the fruity limiter.
Used to have to turn that thing off in the mixer before messing with anything in that daw back then. It has to be that.

That's what I have heard too that the fruity limiter has something to do with FL Studio sounding kinda off. Even with all the presets already added to the default Reason template it still sounds better.

So the conclusion has to be that one is not better than the other, it all comes to have you work the parameters and mix down the various VSTs. But still, from what I have heard - Reason might sound better "out of the box" (FL might need some tweaking). I've only used FL myself, and just can't be arsed to learn a new DAW at the moment. And cheers for the info about the limiter in FL KonKossKang, gotta investigate that.

Nah man that's where templates come in, you gotta do templates in all daws. I've played around with almost all of em, stuck to s1 and reason tho.
In fl it is easy just to make a template with no limiter on the master bus, everybody who still uses fl studio, that myth was debunked because of fl having that in the default template.
Other daws do not have a limiter on the master channel, no effects on the master channel as the "out of the box" template so do not worry about the trivial stuff that is easily solved with template switchin.

Your on point thank you! Maybe it's just me getting old but i feel like i'm having to learn things all over again. Been out of music for a few years now but still want to get back into it. I started with FL in early 2000 and made my way to Reason in 08. So i'm having to update my drum kits from the past and search for new VST's to mess with.

Back