Reason Vs FL Studio (What Do You Prefer And Why?)

I cant speak on reason because i've never used it, but I can give some pros and cons of Fl Studio. Fl studio has vst support. This is a huge plus since the imageline VSTs are ok but dont have the most interesting sounds. the quality isnt bad they just sound boring. A nice collections of effect VSTs will fix that. Another thing i like about fl studio is how you can do one thing multiple different ways. I can open a VST by either dragging and dropping, locating it in the browser, or by just going to the task bar.
The biggest thing you have to remember is, once you get to a certain point, all of these programs are the same. They all do the same tasks just in different ways. Find the one that fits you and you'll be fine.

But does FL Studio 10 produce high quality recordings? I've been playing around with it for about a week and made a mix last night. It sounds awesome within the software, yet the mp3 seems to sound different in some sound parts. I'm recording with 320 bit rate but I could be missing vital quality checks prior to recording in FL. Help? Thanks! PM me if needed.

i swear these same threads pop up all the time. should use the search. but anyways i used FL when first starting and it was cool but didnt like the stock sounds. ended up with Reason 2.0 which was dope cause of the sounds were all usable and didnt sound too fruity lol. now Reason 6 has rack extensions(their answer to VST) and audio recording.

hey guys so I started questioning itunes playback quality. i did a test upload to soundcloud and the quality of that sounded identical to the high quality inside FL. I guess I'm losing faith in itunes for being a decent playback device. Crisis averted for now, thanks a ton for the help. On to learning more about improving my sound.

I use both at will.

I actually started using Reason (stock sounds out box, and a cool thing for analog hardware guys, overall quality and presentation)....finally learned FL Studio (loved the sequencing/flow more)........If im feeling froggy I just run Reason through FL Studio with Rewire. Can't Lose, Especially with refills.

you can't complain on the new mixer in reason 6! it's the best and still the simplest by all of the software out there! and btw a great tip is to have to screens when working with reason so you can have the mixer on a separate screen and the sequencer or the rack on the other vice versa! the only problem i'm having with reason is to create some of the sounds i want but other than that it's brillian and with rack extensions there's some fantastic compressors and synthesizers!

I prefer earlier versions of Reason. 6.5 is cool, but cluttering. I like the ability to record now, but it comes at the price of a cluttered workflow.

Just my opinion, FL is the BEST production software on the market as far as overall functionality. It does everything with ease. Sampling, sequencing, if anything the unorthodox look of the mixer could be it's one soft spot, but anyone who's used it once or twice can quickly get used to the look, still works like any other mixer.

I still like the "all in one" idea of Reason though. Best way I can explain it is Reason is a substitiute for a Workstation Keyboard, FL is more of a Drum Machine/sampler/Sequencer centered to whatever else you add using vstis.

Reason IMO challenges me to work smarter which results in more creativity while FL is more of a "routine" production tool(referring to myself personally). Plus I'm on a Mac, and hate all the hassle of running a windows environment just to use FL, so Reasoon get's my vote by a hair.

Last edited:
I use both reason and fl studio together. I use reason for my composition and arrangement and i use fl studio for fillers and drum kits. You ask me how do I intergrate them? My secret. Game is to be sold, not told.

FL Studio sheerly off of the FLEXIBILITY and ease it affords you when using vsts and wavs. Reason has superior sound quality by far, but I like the with flow in FL Studio better, and it's piano roll is hands down the best EVER, while Reasons piano roll was clearly tacked on as an afterthought.

I prefer FL Studio because thats what I started with, I never came across anything that I wish they would add to the program. It compliments my work ethic.

Back