Reason Vs FL Studio (What Do You Prefer And Why?)

Playwrite

Produces/Emcee
There is a lot of talk recently about which software gives a better sound or gives you more capabilities. What do you all have to say on that topic?

I have always, and will always use FL Studio. It's never ever failed me, and out of the 20 odd projects I've worked on with it, never once has it let me down.

It's one of those things where once you've got used to it, you don't want to use anything else. I've been using it since 13, its incredibly flexible and simple to use.
To be honest though I have only used Reason once, and like I said, I didn't take to it, I'm just too familiar with FL, look like theres no going back :)

Reason. Because I went from the MPC to Reason. People tend to stick to what their started making beats on and rarely change unless it improves their workflow/sound. So with that being said, its just a matter of preference and opinion. There really aren't any major differences in DAW's at this point in the game.

^ no major differences ?

No VST support in Reason
Splitting mixer tracks in Reason is horrible
Sequencer in Reason is awful
Reason isn't full screen.

The list goes on.

Not saying I hate Reason because I use it, but FL takes the cake... You can use Harmor and load a picture in it and turn it into a synth preset and it's sequencer kills.

FL Studio all day. I started with it and I can use it so much quicker. Reason is complicated. You have to wire stuff up right or you might not even get a sound! Plus, it used to be even less sample friendly which isnt good for a sample based producer. I like to rewire its sounds into FL from time to time.

I think it's more up to you, what you like more and what you prefer.Personally, I don't like FL due too much of futuristic look.
Both Reason and FL are great.

I think DAWs ara decided entirely on the person, some just fits with FL, some reason, some logic, its like asking... do you prefer vanilla or chocolate? Ice cream or fruit? its totally personal.

Logic

Logic is way better, plus you can record vocal soon as you finish the beat.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Logic is better. Plugins are better

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Logic is better. Plugins are better

Reason is AMAZING if you just want to write a track and are not familiar with any DAW's Reason is the one to get. It feels as though you are in a studio. whenever you create and instrument you can flip it around and connect cables manually. The sequencer is easy to use and easy to get comfortable with really quick. and it has so many sounds and instruments in its NNXT library you can make music for years! Also you can buy some of the best sampled instrument packs on the market for reason. It has three different synths made by propellerhead. But with the 6.5 version you can buy many others now that they have introduced Rack Extensions which opens reason up to third party developers. Coming out with crazy harmonic pitch shifters to The Korg polysix. Reason just keeps expanding and you would be a fool not to give it a shot. Not saying reason is better than all the other but it is different. Its for the people that need to see what is going on to understand it.

Last edited:
Not a fan of reason just because I dont like the sounds. They all kind of sound dry to me and I like how many options VST's give you so FL Studio is my choice.

I never liked FL Studio. Just me though. I like Reason a lot but I find myself using Ableton Live a lot more these days. They compliment each other really well though.

Reason. With Reason you don't need VSTs per se. I tried both when I went from MPC to software. I learn ed Reason much faster and stuck with it. Its much less of a strain on your system and I think the sequence is far simpler than most think.
It all comes down to work flow and what works for you.
But there isn't nothing you can't do in one that can't be done in the other, minus the vst in fl. But Imo you don't need vst. But its best to rewire both.

I use Reason it's probably mostly because it's what I started on. Fl always seemed not as user friendly to me and kind of awkward. I would love to hear a track mixed in Reason vs tracks mixed in FL though.

If you were to ask this months ago, I would have said Reason without a doubt, but now I'm starting to learn more towards FL Studio. FL Studio has a fantastic piano roll which automatically gives it the advantage. Not to mention, it supports VSTs. I hate chopping up samples in FL though, I much prefer doing so with the combination of Reason + ReCycle. However, that's a major con with many. And I can't blame them. Recycle really needs to be part of Reason and not a totally separate program. This doesn't bother me anymore though because I'm not using Reason anymore for sampling, I now prefer Ableton Live 8.

FL all day. I've used Reason and made good music with it, but I prefer FL. There's nothing Reason does that I can't do in FL but there are workflow issues and features of FL that give FL an advantage for me. Plus, I hate the cables. Losing the mess of cables going all over the place is an advantage of working inside the computer.

Reason 6.5. A lot of people say it has crap synth sounds, but maybe they aren't being creative enough. I used FL before I used Reason and the sequencer was confusing to me ...

Maybe one day I'd rewire into FL just for some orchestra sounds from some of the mainstream VST's as Reason's aren't very extensive ...

I tried making beats for years and could not get comfortable with anything software based until learning Reason. At this point I'm pretty much married to Reason.

Back