The Reason Sound

SimonT

Hi!

In the past, through the different forums I peruse, and on You Tube videos, I have heard people say that Reason has a sound, they make it seem as if it's lacking in some way, the reason sound. I have had this thought in my mind whilst I've been working on Reason since I heard someone say it probably about a year ago. On occasion (I only mix through KRK 20/20 headphones if this has anything to do with it, as I can't afford professional 20/20 monitors yet) I have noticed (I think) that the sound sounds thin sometimes. Just been auditioning patches on Thor for an additional poly chord pattern over the top of a piano, bass and drums, and had the same issue arose. Somehow the sounds I was going through lacked something. Why? They didn't seem thick and yeah, well, lacked WOW! in their texture or fullness. The sounds in themselves sounded good, but not like Synlenth or the Korg M1 or Mono/Poly something. Is this what they were talking about? or is there something I need to be doing perhaps? duplicate and pan maybe, although Thor is stereo, I know Subtractor is mono. I'm not sure.

I have used FL Studio, Logic and Ableton and have not noticed the same thing at all. Especially when you use some of the vst's. They blow you away with texture and thickness and sound really professional straight away.

I may be imagining this don't know. Maybe it's psychological since I heard of this 'Reason Sound' thing.

Anyone else shed any light here? I'm gonna do a trial of the Mono/Poly later to see if sounds the same through my headphones.

Thanks!

People used to say the same crap about fl studio's sound sucks without realizing what's going on, myself included lol.

You can get the same sounds in most daws except ones without all that stuff like studio one that focus more on workflows and ease of use.
Which is why I use reason in it lol.

Sytrus can do the same thing. Harmor can do the same thing. Granulizer and ableton's synth is just as good. Logic's ultrabeat is just as good as kong ffs :) and zebra does things reason, they need to add a wavetable maker seriously.

"if you think it is so you will come to believe it is so" your thoughts that there is a problem makes the problem exist even though it isn't real at all

I've been using since version 4 currently using 6.54 but have 7 and 8 ready for when I commission my new pc next week

I do not think that there is a reason sound at all these days and even back in the days before 6 when you had to have both reason 5/5.5 and record 1/1.5 to get access to the ssl emulation, I still did not hear or think that I heard a "reason sound"

in most cases the "sound" is probably poor mixing - I do find that reason is less forgiving of mixing errors/mistakes, so you need to be on your game to begin with when it comes to mixing

you may also want to double check that there is not something wrong with your sound card or the drivers such as unnecessary eq or reverb in the output signal path introduced by the drivers to make everything sound "gooderer" - something that such tricks patently do the opposite of

a lot of folks have been down this road before trying to argue that reason has a sound f it s own when in fact the issues are far more to do with the environment that the user is working in both acoustically and electrically

Nah.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid, fam. There's no "Reason Sound." I've been using Reason since version 4, and I've updated each time up to 8. When I started on computers, I was using FL, and it got the same treatment. The DAW itself probably has defaults that people are too lazy to work to build up. Reason is one of those DAWs that make you work to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Well, back in the day there might have been a "Reason sound" - when you only had a handful of devices & no real audio options, besides importing stuff into the samplers. I used Reason extensively from 1.0 to 2.5 (ages ago, that is), and people talked about the "Reason sound" back then - probably being right about at the time. But so much has changed since that I really think the whole thing is simply a relic from the past...

Back