Is Reason 7/8 really that much of a difference from Reason 5?

triple_seven

I have been a reason 5 user for over a year now and now i can say i know the in's and out's about 3/4 of the way.

It's very contained which i enjoy and can bring about an effective work flow.

I've been looking to upgrade for a while now and got a copy of Logic 9 a while back but i really enjoy reason alot better for some reason..

Is the newest version of Reason that much of a difference from 5? is it worth all the extra upgrades i have to do to my computer and the purchase of the actual software?

The jump from reason 5 to 7 or 8 is huge. But at the same time it can still be used like previous and the ssl can be avoided entirely, but I've learned to make use of it.

That is because reason and record were merged at 6 too.

It's definitely worth the jump. The integration of audio recording (taken from Record) and Rack Extensions expands Reason way beyond it's capabilities in 5.

Yers. I haven't used 5 but from what I can remember, you have Record integrated into Reason 6, there's The Echo (which is qute similar to the Roland Space Echo - echo machine), Alligator (a triple filter gating device - which is very cool indeed), the ID8 which is a little playable (not sure what it is0 but has strings, piano's, basses, brass and guitars on it, you also have tyhe massive massive excellent SSL mixer in a third window which is an emulation of the SSL9000k studio mixer (I think), you also have audio quantizing which is great, parallel processing and grouping / bussing of channels on the SSL mixer, the Spectrum EQ, the MIDI out device (which enables you to play sounds from external midi synths into Reason whereas on 5 you can only use your synth as a midi controller), not to mention - tons and tons of new sounds. I think maybe the Pulveriser too, which is a filter distortion compression unit. Convolution reverb has not long since been added too to the RV7000, a browser to access files, a new transport and drag and drop with about 25 file formats. Also an extra 12 colours and the undo's were upped recetnly from 30 to 300 too. Lots and lots of great things.

You can actually keep using reason 8 like it's 5 which is what i looooove, just dont connect it to the master section aka the ssl and use the traditional line mixer etc but the ssl is a very good addition and i m glad that it is in reason 6-8.

Turns out the master section is just another nonremovable module for the audio output of reason was so happy when i realized that last year

Last edited:
I find most of the things they've added in to be not really necessary. The nicest addition is the ability to record straight into the DAW as a waveform. You're still actually to do this in Reason 5 though if you record your instruments into a sampler, but you'll be limited to about 8 bars I think. Or just bring in audio from another program like Audition into a sampler. I've made whole songs like that and it works fine if you don't wanna spend the money to upgrade. Nice thing about Reason 5 is it's easy to get for free online to try it out, I love Reason's interface even though it get a lot of hate

Back